Monday, 20 May 2013

Wedding Bells

No, not for me - for my father-in-law and new mother-in-law (so happy to be able to type that!)


A couple of weekends ago we headed down to Surrey to celebrate with Mr DC's dad and his fiancee -  a lovely, very emotional ceremony, followed by lunch at a local pub and then a garden party. Which makes it sound so much less extraordinary than it was.

My little girls were bridesmaids; they spent the week beforehand practising walking in their pretty wedding shoes and having their hair fiddled with. On the day Mr DC lent a hand with curling their hair when we realised we were cutting it a bit fine to deliver the groom to the registry office in time - he is quietly very proud of the compliments their hairstyles received.

They took the walk up the aisle terribly seriously, and posed for lots of photographs. At lunchtime they made very grown up conversation but I think they were secretly glad to change into their ordinary clothes and head into the garden for an afternoon of tree climbing and hammock swinging.

The happy couple are away on a walking honeymoon - because they are far more active than we are and when they're not gardening, they're off with the Ramblers.

At the heart of the weekend was much laughter, and fond memories of beloved relatives who are no longer with us but were never far from our thoughts - and the excitement at the thought of lots and lots and LOTS of extra cousins and aunts and ... I have no idea how the relationships now officially work but there were about thirty people in the "immediate family" photo!

25 comments:

  1. Mr DC can do hair? I am seriously impressed.
    Sounds like a wonderful happy day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous fun day with wonderful memories to hold forever, though a mister that does hair...my girls would die of fright if their dad even suggested having a go. They value their hair (and scalps too much). Like Sue I am very impressed.

    Nina x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What pretty bridesmaids with beautiful posies x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awe a very important job for any little girl! Very impressed with the hairdressing husband! ;)
    V x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations to all the Wedding Belles and wishing the DC's in laws every happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh what fun! Congratulations to the senior DCs! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely colour dresses and the flowers too. Must have been a great day for them.xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope you've got a big table for next Christmas...
    Ax

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, the girls look beautiful in that little snippet LOL. It sounds like a perfect weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That sounds like a perfect day! Congratulations to the bride and groom :)
    (And there have been plenty of dress-up events where I would have been thrilled to change into my regular clothes immediately afterward and climb a tree. Seriously.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations to them (and to Mr DC on his hair skills!). My Dad does a mean plait, but could never get his man fingers into the teeny elastics for the ends.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those look like two rather beautiful and grown up looking girls! Congratulations all round.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I do love the confusion of my family - the steps and halves and once removeds. (I don't even know what the last one means.)

    Your lucky, lovely girls.

    ReplyDelete
  14. ahhhh families... they be good, can't they?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations...looks like you had a wonderful day welcoming all your new relatives to the extended family. My Dad would always do my hair when I was younger he was a dab hand with the old Clairol hairdryer. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely story! We had a family dinner a fortnight or so ago and got to meet up with cousins/nieces/nephews I hadn't seen for years or even met. It was great fun.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds lovely, glad you all had a fab day
    Twiggy x

    ReplyDelete
  18. getting out of posh clothes and playing in the garden sounds like the very best bit of a party, I would have wanted to join them!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That sounds wonderful, glad you had a such a great time. And the girls look wonderful. Hope you have a fantastic long weekend, Claire

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sounds like you all had the perfect day. How lucky to discover Mr DCs hidden talent for crimping. Reminds me that my mum once let my dad cut her hair shortly after they married. She said she had to wear a headscarf for 6 weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sounds lovely, and your how pretty your girls' outfits are! (Excellent hair-curling from Mr DC!).

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a lovely day sounds like you all had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  23. A wedding - how joyous! Your girls look lovely and well done to MrDC for managing the hair.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Missed this! I love a good wedding. Although my sister is marrying again in September and I'm not looking forward to that because it's a huge weekend long affair in a country house hotel. A pub lunch and a garden party sounds so much more intimate and fun. Congratulations to the happy couple :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. How lovely to have a new, large family! Congratulations to the newly weds.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me some feedback! I love reading your comments and I do my best to reply to them. If Blogger gives me your email address, or if I can find one on your blog I'll try to reply by email; otherwise I'll reply in the comments here.