Monday, 4 March 2013

Arrows and braids



I've finished a couple of new baskets this week; both have now gone on to new homes where I hope they'll fit in and be useful. Both have taught me new skills, which is always a good thing, I think. Neither ended up entirely as planned but I think that's why I enjoy weaving; there is a certain element of letting the basket evolve - with guidance, obviously - I didn't set out to weave an elephant and end up with a bucket!


The first is just a simple little basket, plain but for the braided accent on the side which I do love, but which left a few unhideable ends inside and meant that I needed to add a liner - no great hardship with this lovely linen. I'm thinking the size means it would be useful for embroidery threads or  small cotton reels or maybe seed packets. Certainly not grocery shopping.


The second one is larger and was originally going to have a handle but at the end I decided not to add one. It is tightly woven with very narrow reed so there was an element of awkwardness in the shaping and it did take longer than anticipated to make.



I added a band of three rod arrow for interest - both in the appearance if the basket and because I really like weaving it. I think next time I'd move the band slightly higher up the side to balance the shape but still, I am pleased with the way it turned out. It's a good size for storing balls of crochet cotton, which can only be a good thing in my book!



I did a bit of travelling weaving this weekend: a revelation as I've never thought of it as a very portable hobby. Turns out it can be, but it required a level of organisation I am not usually known for! More on that another time.


As ever, I can see as much that I did wrong as right with these two; do you do that? And how on earth do you get past it, if you ever do?

33 comments:

  1. These are beautiful. So talented you are - spoken in a Yoda voice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are both gorgeous :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I commented when you first mentioned that you weave, but I love these baskets! In fact, I do rather love baskets in general (our house is full of them) so I am very impressed by your wonderful talent! Can't wait to see more...
    R x

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look pretty perfect to me. Beautiful baskets.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't say I see too much wrong with either of them... The only this that is wrong is that they're not here with me?

    You're amazing Val. Is there anything you can't do?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I envy you that talent, those baskets are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They're both so pretty -- and so useful! I'm not sure you ever get past critiquing your own work. They both look pretty perfect from here!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Augh! So lovely! I especially like the extra decorative weaving you've done. I am starting to twitch with my basket addiction. ; )X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Order yourself some cane and get weaving - you know you want to!

      Delete
  9. Things I make seldom come out as planned, but the surprise is sometimes part of the pleasure.

    Yours look faultless to me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. ~ Hello....Nothing and I mean NOTHING ever turns out as planned with me! ~But this always adds to it's individuality....I never follow patterns....or instructions..Part of the fun! YOUR baskets are a delight...You must be soo patient! Those 'Red nose' dollies earlier post are very special indeed! ~Thanks for visiting me and leaving kind words....Love Maria x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very kind, thank you. I don't think of myself as very patient, but there is something hypnotic about the process of weaving that I find very soothing.

      Delete
  11. Really lovely, what a wonderful skill to have learnt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you ever get the chance, I'd highly recommend taking a class. It's brilliant!

      Delete
  12. Good grief, I can only see right things on these baskets! How clever you are.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We always see the wrong bits in our own work , things that no-one else even notices. Its dementing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such gorgeous baskets. I continue to be in awe of your skills--they look absolutely perfect to me!

    K x

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can confirm that my basket is perfect in every way and the only thing it is lacking is a huge pile of gorgeously coloured crochet yarn to fill it. That will be remedied soon.
    Thank you so much, I absolutely love it xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. They both look fabulous - I can't see anything wrong with them at all, but I know what you mean about critiquing your own work. xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. they are oh so lovely you clever cookie!

    ReplyDelete
  18. They are beautiful and look perfect to me. :) We all tend to be overly critical of what we do. I think any quirks are what makes something special.

    ReplyDelete
  19. They are both so lovely, so much nicer than anything you can buy in the shops

    ReplyDelete
  20. Both baskets are charming! I see nothing wrong at all with either of them, but I'm the same way about seeing the imperfections in my own creations. Doesn't bother me as much as it used to - either my standards are slipping or I'm getting better at enjoying the process and the results, however flawed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Val your little basket is getting a lot of loving here. It is perfect and so pretty - at the moment it is doing an excellent job of housing some knitted srawberries and making me smile everytime I walk past it. Again I say you need to be weaving lots more! Thanks so much xxx

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am just so in awe of this skill, and loved the glimpse I got of you weaving on the Red Nose Day Dolls video.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, how neat is that narrow weave reed looking! My Mum went through a basket weaving phase (ie, she did a class or two, then had loads of willow laying around for ages but not much weaving happening) in the 80's. She was rubbish. I know you shouldn't say that about your own Mum but we giggled loads at her efforts, she had fun though and saw the funny side of how bad her weaving was. Beth/thelinencat x

    ReplyDelete
  24. Gosh - I'm loving your baskets!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Gosh - I'm loving your baskets!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me some feedback! I love reading your comments and I do my best to reply to them. If Blogger gives me your email address, or if I can find one on your blog I'll try to reply by email; otherwise I'll reply in the comments here.