Tuesday, 4 December 2012

The activity advent rides again!

For the past few years, like many, many other bloggers I've set up an activity advent for my girls to mark the passage of December days. When they were little I was very strict about keeping chocolate out of it, and about trying to introduce them to international celebrations. These days, not so much. It's more about forcing them to write Christmas cards and make presents for their teachers: "Look, it's in the calendar! That means it's FUN!" I must admit I thought they might have grown out of it but no, they were adamant about having one this year, so here we go again.


Last year I set myself the ridiculous task of posting every day about the small activities. Obviously I didn't keep that up - my health visitor used to tell me off about "Setting myself up to fail" when Tall Small was a baby, but I took no notice then either. So, this year I'm going to aim to post just a few times with more photos in each one.


First off, the calendar itself. Last year's envelope string was pretty but impractical - the envelopes kept falling off and it all ended up looking alarmingly saggy. So, this year, when I spotted little trees on pinksuedeshoe, I got terribly excited. They ended up being a bit fiddly (I have said before that I Don't Do papercraft) but each little tree safely holds a couple of chocolates and a slip of paper with a Christmassy picture and an illegibly scrawled activity.


So far we have had:

1. Make snowman milk - alarmingly addictive, milk with a tiny bit of gingerbread syrup and a marshmallow decorated to look like a snowman's head. The bottles are empty frappuccinos from a coffee shop that shall remain nameless.



2. Give coffee, tea and sugar to Jimmy's night shelter - a local homeless shelter. We do this every year.

3. Make up felt decoration kits - these are from lovely Sarah at paper-and-string (and John Lewis too!)


Tonight we have to decorate some crackers and make little elf houses. And the Brownie Christmas party. And now I have to go and make sparkly stuff for a stall I'm having at the school fair on Sunday. Oh help.

14 comments:

  1. I made an advent tree too, but just the one, and it's not a calendar ... no littlies to entertain here.

    Love the milk idea ... and gosh you guys are busy ... have fun :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am always impressed by people who actually do stuff with their children so you have officially impressed me. I did think about making them all a 'Melted Snowman' drink. I saw it on Pinterest -it's a bottle of water.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love the snowman milk! I have finally given up on my constantly failed intentions to make my own advent calendar, but I do really have to get around to advent. After all, it's rapidly running out...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now see, this is why I miss having littles around at Christmas. I would just make a calendar with fun activities for myself, but there are too many big person responsibilities at this time of year LOL. So far, your activities look like a ton of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh what fun! love the milk! good luck at the Christmas fair, I am sure everyone will love your sparkles x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Val, I don't know how you do it all but what a wonderful mum you are for fitting it all in. I can't see your girls growing out of it any time soon either, if I had a creative mum like you I'd still be requesting an activity advent to this day! Where do you get gingerbread syrup from - it sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to come to your house. It sounds like so much fun! And yes, the trees may have been fiddly but they look lovely! You are making such wonderful memories for your children. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Snowman milk eh? Sounds good. Even if none of us can drink that frappuchino drink any more because we are feeling cross about lack of taxes paid.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Val I'm so impressed that after last year you are bravely Advent Calendar blogging again :-) You will note I'm not! Looking forward to seeing all the exciting things you are doing. Gold Star and Mother of the Week to you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the snowman milk! You sound very busy... no chance of a bit of Christmas browsing and a cuppa before they break up I suppose?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Snowman milk - now that does look very good...indeed. I wonder if it would taste just as nice with almond milk? hmmmmm - I think I need to give it a try.

    Nina x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow. I'm seriously impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We have advent activities going on here too, lots of crafty fun even if sometimes it happens the day after we open the envelope!
    Love your trees, a greta way of combining choccies and activities xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely :o) I did this a few years ago and we loved it. Sadly I seem to have slipped into just popping choccies in the advent calendar now, although Minx does love filling the calendar up for me. I might have to add some activities in next year to see how a nearly teenager and a 14 year old ( as they will then be) cope with being made to enjoy themselves whether they like it or not :o)

    Looking forward to seeing what other advent activities you have planned.
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me some feedback! I love reading your comments and I do my best to reply to them. If Blogger gives me your email address, or if I can find one on your blog I'll try to reply by email; otherwise I'll reply in the comments here.