Thursday, 22 November 2012

Mass vs weight (dahdahdah)

My girls are back at school after a week of the strangest bug we've ever had. A whole range of symptoms affecting heads, tummies, appetites, you name it but with each "episode" separated by 24 - 48 hours and necessitating an extended number of days off school as we follow the 48 hour rule. I do try to make "off sick" days less interesting than holiday days and I realised my work was done when they told me they were very bored and could they please go back to school now.

Still, we did get homework done, and as a reward I showed them something I used to love doing at school. Yes, I was a girly swot, and I bet your kids are jealous of the "rewards" mine get. "You've been so good! Here, have a maths project to work on as a treat." Oh, yes indeedy.



 
Anyway, yesterday morning was yr 5/6 science. We've been looking at forces and the teacher found a wonderful video to show them today. Now I have to apologise, well a little bit. This is going to stick in your head but since it's educational, I can't be too sorry. And to all those lovely people who say they like my science posts and wonder why I'm not a teacher - if I was, this chap is the kind of teacher I would want to be. Just inspirational.
 
After that, time to head back up the road for Yr 3/4 science. They had an awful song about friction last week. Be VERY grateful I haven't shared that one.

16 comments:

  1. Gosh, I like him. A lot. My eldest was explaining mass v weight to me the other day (he's doing A level physics)and he was nowhere near as good as Mr Edmonds. So, when I stand on the scales I'm actually measuring my mass not my weight?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that!!!(Will be singing it all day now) What a brilliant way of getting the children to remember though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent! I've just wasted a good few minutes looking at this and other science songs. Wish that I'd more like this when I was growing up!
    Thanks for sharing,and sharing your 'curves from straight lines' play too!
    Hope that everyone fully recovered now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh that is just fantastic! off to look for more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very good, it seems to have knocked this; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okZBiy_IdBA
    delight from my mind, we all have been singing this for weeks, the joy of musical geography!! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my word - I am in love with Mr Edmonds. Now, have you got a handy algebra song?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmm. Off to investigate...
    Hope all the lurgies have gone. I have a little feeling that we are just about to start that particular journey. Happy weekend, Ax

    ReplyDelete
  8. You should have been round here this afternoon, whilst Eldest and Mr Coffee sat in the middle of a huge pile of paper with a Carol Vordeman maths book, screaming blue murder at one another.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My silly computer won't let me watch the clip but I must say, I wish you'd been helping in science lessons when I was at school! It sounds like so much more fun that I remember.

    Hope you're all feeling much much better now xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Boy, after these comments, I'm afraid to go listen LOL. Hope you're all feeling better now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great video! Got to love Mr Edmonds! xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's great! Husband is a mathmo, has a good line in maths songs. He doesn't sing, but he's very ready with a youtube link ;)

    I was likewise a swot at school. Periodically I have a mild panic that my own children won't be goody-two-shoes swotty knitting types. I mean, what if they turn out to be normal teenagers???

    I imagine you've see this?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j50ZssEojtM

    Hope you're all better!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Husband has this as a rejoinder, with apologies ;)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWDha0wqbcI

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so glad that you're all over that rotten bug and if maths was that pretty when I was at school, I'd have been a lot better at it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Priceless. My son will be watching that later. I home teach but I don't really like or understand chemistry or physics, but boy, would I love to.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me some feedback! I love reading your comments and I do my best to reply to them. If Blogger gives me your email address, or if I can find one on your blog I'll try to reply by email; otherwise I'll reply in the comments here.