Friday, 20 July 2012

The Monster Factory


Our house has been renamed by my daughters' classmates. It's nothing to do with the behaviour of my little angels. No, it's as a result of the bright idea I had to make pocket money treats for my stall at the school fair this summer. At Christmas I was asked over and over whether I had anything for 50p, and I didn't - my jewellery is reasonably priced (well, I think so) but it's not that cheap!

But I did have a big box of fimo, and I had been crocheting monsters as presents for a few of their friends so I thought, well, why not make clay monsters? They were cheap, easy and quick to make and I sold about 25 of them in short order. It's never going to make me rich but it covered the cost of the clay.

And that's when I made the fatal mistake of offering to make custom monsters - choose the colour, choose the expression. I seriously underestimated the imagination of your average 10 year old:


The most complex one so far has a purple mohican, curly green eyebrows, sunglasses and a peace necklace. Apparently his name is Cha Ching.


I still have a series of 6 to make for my elder daughter's best friend. And then the monster factory is CLOSED for the summer!

14 comments:

  1. Oh Val they're brilliant! I kind of want one myself! That was a bit of a rash moment you had though in offering to make custom ones - I expect there will be a waiting list at the monster factory after the summer holidays! Hope you have a good few weeks and fingers crossed for a bit of sun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaahhh they are so cute. Just think how cute a little santa or snowman would be!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always a backlog when the factories shut down for the Summer.

    May I have a green spoty one please?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hard work,bit immensely rewarding. You'll have made a lot of 10 year olds very happy indeed. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have just given me inspiration for SmallBean's party bag crisis. Items not going to arrive on time, things going missing but now.... I can make swamp monsters to take home after a pond dipping party. You are amazing. Thank you. Oh, is it ok to pinch your idea? And toptip... steer well clear of Wandlebury on Monday afternoon. It will be anarchic chaos.
    Yippee for summer holidays. Ax

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh shoot! The picture service is down -- I can only see that last picture -- and he's sure cute! Sounds like a really FUN project!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahh, they're so cute! I'm sure Joe would love a few of them, let me know if the factory opens up again!
    R xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cute... and I am sure that you are really having a lot of fun creating them, lol!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very very cute, and such fun. Enjoy your time off for the summer though :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh my. you are bestest monster maker ever. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good grief woman.... all that for 50p? They are fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, drat -- I was getting ready to place my order. >;-D

    Those are 100 percent fab. Is there anything you can't do, Val?

    ReplyDelete
  13. The monsters are great - it's a pity the factory is closed :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. who knew a monster would be so appealing

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me some feedback! I love reading your comments and I do my best to reply to them. If Blogger gives me your email address, or if I can find one on your blog I'll try to reply by email; otherwise I'll reply in the comments here.