Monday, 2 July 2012

Pink and blue

Yesterday dawned bright and clear in Cambridge - barely a cloud in the sky but not too hot. Pretty much a perfect day for which I was grateful and so were Tall and Tiny Small - we were Racing for Life! This was my fourth year, Tall's third and Tiny's second, and we had hats and water and suncream at the ready.



Waiting patiently for the off along with everyone else

I should come clean and admit that we were walking - I don't run, not even for buses, so I always turn up in walking shoes and make no pretence at athleticism - but that's OK, there's always a huge cohort of walkers. Tiny Small jogged a bit - she would have happily run the whole thing. I have no idea where she gets that from. At one point we met a lady in a wheelchair who was fighting her way over the bridge in Kings College, needing only the smallest assistance from many willing hands to get over the steep hump and across the rumpled up floor matting -  the point is, anyone can do it (well, unless they're a man), and it is an event like no other - astonishingly emotional, supportive, and very worthwhile because it can only be the very rare, very fortunate person who hasn't lost someone they know and love to cancer, or know someone who is currently fighting it. 

The route through Cambridge is beautiful - it's a lovely city anyway and when you are ambling along with 7500 women, children and the odd dog dressed in a pink tutu it's hard to beat it. We all had our faces painted and wore our medals with pride for most of the day. We're planning to do it again next year - will you?

The fence at the end where people pin their back signs - lists of the people they are racing to support, or in whose memory they have raced. It would take a stronger person than me to remain composed at the sight.

And in other news: frustratingly, my keyboard seems to be packing up one key at a time. The full stop is very unresponsive, and the d key is not much happier, which with my blog name is a bit of a pain ...

24 comments:

  1. Well done! My cousin was running somewhere in the sea of pink!!! I sponsored her and did my own walk (6 miles on the Devil's Dyke) not sure I could have coped with the crowds of pink clad women!

    Celia
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done to you and the small people! It's a great fundraiser, I did it a few years ago, and I think my two girls would really like to do it next year. I'm just not sure I'd keep up with eldest - she doesn't get her running genes from me!

    Good luck with the computer problems. I can prise the keys of my laptop and often find it's something as simple as a crumb or bit of fluff underneath.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done, racers! We can always re-christen you ottiecookie if that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is the first year i haven't done it as I raised money at the beginning of the year doing something else. But the atmosphere is always amazing isn't it. I generally jog slowly (being overtaken by walkers) with tears in my eyes reading the signs on everyone's back. Well done and glad the sun shone down x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joanna. Well done you for raising money no matter how or when. My girls love the feeling of being part of something very big, though I think they secretly enjoy the ice cream more ;-) I cant find an email address for you so don't know whether you'll see this!

      Delete
  5. Hello,
    Well done to you both!
    Such a worthy event.
    My daughter has taken part for the last couple of years too...
    Been reading through your earlier post,aww I remember that needle and that feeling with a section,ooh don't think you ever forget it, do you!
    Wishing you a week full of smiles...
    Mariax

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done to you all. I have friends who've done the Ipswich one, but I think the setting of Cambridge is far prettier!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done to you, Tall & Tiny. Am ashamed to admit I've never done it so very grateful that there are lots that do and that it's so much fun too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. well done to you all!!!!!!!!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brilliant Val, well done to you and the smalls x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh, well done, all three of you :D

    The last time I did anything similar - a good few years ago - my toe nails fell off afterwards ... it kinda put me off!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well done team Cookie! I've not done it for a few years, such a special race or ambling walk in my case x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh well done everyone. (If I were to join in I'd need a piggyback, I'm so unfit.) I was having problems with the 'l' and the full stop on my laptop yesterday. Then I found the giant crumb lodged between the two....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well done to you and the small's.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very well done, all of you, that must have been quite some sight, all in pink.

    If you pry off your non-responsive keys you will probably find that there is a crumb or a grain of salt there, clean them and pop the keys back on and it should all be good again. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ahhhhh beautiful Cambridge and well done you.

    If I still lived there I would of gladly donned my walking shoes and joined you.

    Nina xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good Job! Doesn't matter if you walk or crawl, the important thing is that you were there! Good Luck with your keys -- go have some chocolate -- I hear it helps LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh well done you - walking is good, i dont run either, its walk or ride a bike, or better still a horse!!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well done to all three of you... brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well done to the three of you! Dot and I are contemplating doing our local one this weekend but I don't know if it is too late to apply - I'll have to have another look. Happy 10th birthday to Tall Small too! Lucy xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. P.S. Just went straight over to the Race for Life website after leaving my comment and found that the run has been postponed because of the state of the venue after recent weather! I'm obviously not meant to do it just yet!

    ReplyDelete
  21. well done ladies tall and small! it's such a brilliant cause, and as you say, brings a lump to the throat. I had to stop reading peoples back signs after a while as I was feeling very teary...x

    ReplyDelete
  22. This event is also in Truro and some of the teachers at work are going to enter.As you say there are very few people who have not been affected by Cancer in some way. I have two friends at work who have had operations this year and a TA who sadly did not make it. My family has been hard hit over the years with one in remission via an operation and 4 others having not survived. The most recent being my Dad last September.
    From diagnosis to funeral was about 5 weeks so I have to admit that I declined to take part this year due to needing to deal with how and what happened. Ironically last summer I did take part in a charity Gig race in Newquay for Cornwall Cancer care. The first anniversary is on 27th September then I hope that next year I will be able to take part. You had a gorgeous day I know Cambridge well as my Mum (and Dad) live in Burwell for the past 25+ years and I used to work in Debenhams and Joshua Taylor (remember them?). A lovely city to walk through for this special event.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. when I am fit enough, and pass the 5 year mark, this is something I plan to do too - its a great cause, although I wouldnt be sure what to put on my back label. Me? Might be strange? Could put my Aunt and Grandma who have already died from same thing. But as you say, its is a great cause and well done to you and the small person for getting involved :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me some feedback! I love reading your comments and I do my best to reply to them. If Blogger gives me your email address, or if I can find one on your blog I'll try to reply by email; otherwise I'll reply in the comments here.