Thursday, 12 July 2012

Our moment to shine?

So, the Olympic torch finally made its way to Cambridge this weekend. We decided that really, since we haven't got any Olympics tickets, this was our only chance to feel connected and we would go in to see it. This required elaborate, carefully timed planning as the girls had choir in the morning, then Tall Small had a party in the afternoon and we knew that roads would be closed and we'd have a half hour walk from our parking place into town. I was panicking, I will admit it.


In the end though, the gods of skin-of-your-teeth timings were smiling on us and we arrived at a soggy Parker's Piece in time to take up places right at the barrier where the torch would pass us. And we waited, and waited, and waited some more. Initially the girls were incredulous "We're really going to stand here for an hour and a half?!" but as the excitement levels (and crowds) grew they became happier, and there were just enough interesting people wandering up and down the path to keep them engaged.


The Coca Cola bus in the distance.

Then bang on time, the parade came along and before we knew it the torchbearer was running past us and we were all cheering. Unfortunately both our cameras chose that moment to have epic failures, and the best shot we have is this one: 


Come back! The hand holding the phone is mine. Sadly it turns out I wasn't actually videoing it ...



We did see the beacon being lit, and then after some more dancing about and flailing in the mud the flame was transferred into its little holding lantern and taken off to bed. And that was that. On the way back to the car I spotted the coach it was going to be travelling off in, and whipped out my poor old phone, which is more or less steam powered and by the time it had started a park & ride bus was in the way ...


But we have pictures in our heads, and memories that will last for years; and it taught us all the lesson to look at life through your eyes, not just through the lens of a camera because you can't predict the crucial moment it will let you down! 

15 comments:

  1. Hi,
    We went and saw the torch in St Austell for the same reason. A chance to say I saw it. One of my Art students ran with the torch in Plymouth and lit the beacon on The Hoe.

    Glad you had a good day.
    I know Parker's Piece well sat on it and walked across it many times.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I once carried an Olympic Torch. It was way back when for some charity thing. I got a t-shirt that's now stained by my son's blood. My kids were more impressed about how much my son's head bled over the shirt than they are that their mum once carried the Olympic flame... ah well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks like a truly great day to remember! xxx glad all the timings worked out, I was like that when we saw the torch, just before I got the train to London.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the top picture of you all! Glad that you made it in time and have lots of good snapshots in your heads from a memorable day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It threw it down here. THREW IT DOWN. Littlest had to tip her wellies out into the school sink.

    I stayed at home with a pot of tea. Humbug.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow -- it sounds like such a fun event- I'm glad you were able to make it. And good advice -- I think sometimes that we're so intent on capturing a moment with our camera that we actually miss that moment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It doesn't really matter if your photos aren't exactly as you hoped because the best bit was the atmosphere and anticipation and that you'll remember forever.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh nice you got to go, even if your cameras did fail! We've managed tickets for womens gymnastic final, it took hours and hours of attempts to get any ticket in the sale process (for those who'd tried and failed already). Sadly we'll miss the torch, it bypasses our village and it's to far to walk to the nearest one. Shame as it sounds fun. Beth (the linen cat)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It came through our town at 6.15am, couldn't face getting 3 children and a man on crutches up and dressed at 5am so stayed in bed!Looks like you had a good time.x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh lookie! There you all are!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well done for getting to see it. It didn't come to our town and on the day it was at its closest we had torrential downpours, hail stones and gusty winds. I'm afraid the majority decision was that we watch it on TV/internet!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love that top pic :D The torch came within a few miles of us, but at such an ungodly hour we decided to give it a miss. I'm sure you're right that cameras can too easily get between us and the thing we should be experiencing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. nice to read about what is happening over the pond, hope you are having better weather now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Val, it was lovely to meet you at Emma's Open Studio yesterday.

    We missed the torch when it came through Bury St Edmunds last week which was a shame. It must have been quite something to see. Love the top photo!

    Jeanne
    x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello, I found your blog via Beth's blog! How wonderful to see the torch, I completely agree with you, sometimes it's best not to worry about capturing the moment but instead just savouring it, it looks like you all had a lot of fun, safxxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me some feedback! I love reading your comments and I do my best to reply to them. If Blogger gives me your email address, or if I can find one on your blog I'll try to reply by email; otherwise I'll reply in the comments here.