Wednesday, 25 July 2012

My daughter, the queen

Well, wife of Zeus in the school play, anyway.

Regular readers may remember that I have made a LOT of costumes for school plays over the years. This year I made tunics for 15 villagers in the Christmas nativity so when Tall Small came home with a request for just one costume, I was very pleased. Particularly when I read that as Hera, it was suggested she wear a full length gold dress and a tiara. Just the kind of challenge I enjoyed and while I did have to buy the gold fabric (and let me tell you, cheap gold satiny stuff is the very devil to sew) I already had everything I needed to make her tiara. One very pleasurable evening's work produced this:


And another evening of sewing resulted in the full costume.


I was very pleased with this outfit, as was my lovely daughter, though I wasn't prepared for how grown up she would look with her crown on and her hair loose - and I also wasn't expecting her to be singing in a little group of 4, or doing a small dance. She had told me "she only had 4 lines" - talk about modesty!

24 comments:

  1. Magical! The tiara is superb, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah she looks gorgeous, well done you, costume maker to the queen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of reasons for you to be very proud, here...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Doesn't she look gorgeous. Well done you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my. How many tissues did you use...?
    Ax

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh how gorgeous does she look. I've said it before and I'll say it again ... you are clever! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. She looks gorgeous. How lucky she is to have such a clever mum!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely costume work. The tiara is excellent, not an easy task that one.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope Kate is aware that she has competition in the Beautiful Princess category.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wowsa missus - that's one super outfit.....mine are usually chucked together using old tea towels, sheets and pillow cases.

    I'll know who to ask next time....sneeky.

    Nina x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow -- it's beautiful! How fun -- I miss sewing those costumes. You're lucky -- you got to do a gorgeous one! (And they're lucky to have a Hera with such a talented Mum!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Goodness - what a great job you did and she does look most grown up and regal. If ever I should need a tiara, I know who to ask!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah she looks beautiful. Well done to you for the costume, the tiara is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  14. She does look very tall and grown-up there. You did a wonderful job with both the tiara and the dress and I bet you were bursting with pride at the performance!

    ReplyDelete
  15. She looks delightful and the dress and tiara are fantastic! xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh gosh, she really does look grown up. What a lovely costume. Earlier this month I attended my last primary school play for my two kids - a sad day.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great costume!! Scary isn't it, the way you see the woman peeping out through the child sometimes.

    And I love the tiara, awesome :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. She looks gorgeous... and the tiara is beautiful! Perhaps you could keep it for her wedding? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. So that makes you the Queen Mother? You need your own tiara.

    ReplyDelete
  20. How beautiful, with those lovely golden locks too! I bet you were a proud mum watching her perform, and she must have been thrilled with her costume!

    ReplyDelete
  21. How precious! That turned out great.

    Amanda Rose
    http://sewmuchtosay.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. gorgeous!!

    you shames us all.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a beauty, and the costume is divine. Did you really make that crown, I bet your daughter was sooooo impressed and excited to wear it.
    Jx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your daughter looks beautiful and your sewing and crafting is beautiful. Jane x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me some feedback! I love reading your comments and I do my best to reply to them. If Blogger gives me your email address, or if I can find one on your blog I'll try to reply by email; otherwise I'll reply in the comments here.