Thursday, 7 June 2012

Earning a crust

I've been a busy bee over the last couple of weeks. All the usual stuff, plus eight days or so helping out a curtain making workshop in the village - being paid to sew, woohoo! I wasn't making curtains though -  the lovely ladies there have a semi regular contract to make special gloves that mimic the effects of arthritis and are sold to various companies so they can design their products with arthritis sufferers in mind. You can see them here; they are bizarre to wear and very fiddly to make - right up my street!


I've also been continuing my love affair with tiny beads and pretty stones - here's a piece of rose quartz mounted in a peyote stitch bezel made with silver Japanese delica beads - each weeny bead is a tiny flat edged cylinder so they stack up gorgeously when stitched together. There's always a magical moment with these when you've added just enough rows of beads and tightened them just enough that the stone stops feeling like it;s about to leap out and feels securely held. Every one is a bit different depending on the shape of the stone being enclosed. 


I love them.





27 comments:

  1. ooh those gloves sound very intriguing, and those sparkly little beads, oh my. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are very smart beads Missus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely bead work. I have to put my super strength glasses on to see the hole in the seed beads! Did you make anymore of the keyrings.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful bezel - it does look very tricky to do!
    Really interesting gloves too - something that I didn't know existed, but that I'm glad does. Anything that helps designers take on the idea of 'inclusive design' has to be a very good thing! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, my! These are simple gorgeous. What talented hands you have!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm intrigued by those gloves. And your pendants are just exquisite. It's great to hear how much pleasure you derive from their creation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh Val your little beaded creations are gorgeous - I can understand the fascination with the tininess and the way that they fit together so perfectly like molecular geometry.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh the necklaces are beautiful! And pretty cool gloves too. K x

    ReplyDelete
  9. The simulation gloves (and the glasses, too) are very interesting! Speaking as a person with arthritis, I'm glad to know this kind of tool exists for designers and others to get a physical understanding.

    I see the gloves are out of stock...seems you may be very busy for a while? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loving the little beads, and that stone is so pretty :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous you clever-multi-talented-lady with bizarre gloves. Ax

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh how pretty. I didn't even know you could do such a thing. Sounds like everything you have been up to is very fiddly! x

    ReplyDelete
  13. That beaded rose quartz.... just exquisite!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Are you a witch? HOW do you do that? Truly, mindblowing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hang on a minute ... you *sew* the beads together? I am in awe. It is beautiful and rose quartz is my favourite stone.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That necklace is gorgeous even the back is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh wow -- that beading is gorgeous. I'm SO impressed!!! And those gloves -- I don't even know what to say LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  18. (those gloves are weird!)

    I LOVE THAT PENDANT!! is there anything you can't do? Seriously....

    ReplyDelete
  19. That beading is just gorgeous, Mrs DC. You are so clever. I just looked at the gloves - didn't know such a thing existed. That's really rather good.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ooohhhh me too - they are gorgeous.....but which to choose as a favourite? I say both!

    Nina x

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am addicted to buying beads much to my husband's annoyance but not that brilliant at using them. the pendant is amazing

    ReplyDelete
  22. That pendant is simply beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hey! I’m at work surfing around your blog. Just wanted to say I love reading through your blog and look forward to all your posts! Keep up the fantastic work!
    http://www.epinaccessories.com/fashion-jewelry/trendy-jewerly/wrap-bracelet/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me some feedback! I love reading your comments and I do my best to reply to them. If Blogger gives me your email address, or if I can find one on your blog I'll try to reply by email; otherwise I'll reply in the comments here.