Wednesday, 2 May 2012

Cauldrons in blankets

What do you call a vegetarian pig? I have no idea either.

In my teens and twenties I was vegetarian. I long ago fell off the wagon, I'm still not quite sure why, but I do enjoy cooking vegetarian food and try to keep the meat intake down a bit for various reasons, not least animal welfare. I've always been mildly wary of meat substitutes - Quorn is pretty much OK as long as I don't try to pretend it is anything else - and the kids wolf down Quorn bolognaise with hidden vegetables so that's a big tick in my book.



Anyway, my sister recently introduced me to Cauldron sausages (NB I am not being paid for this!) and oh my goodness, I may never eat a real sausage again. Seriously. OK, on the plate they don't look like sausages (too straight) but the flavour is gorgeous and as I discovered last night, they make fabulous pigs in blankets.

I precooked the sausages and used Nigella's recipe for the scone dough (the linked one is in cups but it's a very easy basic cheese scone dough), and they have gone in with the girls to school today. We shall see what they think ...


Thank you for all the lovely comments on my ring - I still haven't taken it off and thanks to you my hands are looking better as I have upped the water and handcream intake. Yahoo! If I haven't emailed you or answered in the comment box, I will do very soon. Trying to get back into the swing of things here!

11 comments:

  1. Handcream and water!I need to try that.

    I can't imagine my marriage outlasting vegetarian sausages.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too am suspicious of meat-a-like products. Though I could get into water and hand cream.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm. I sure wish I knew what Cauldron sausages are because they look REALLY good. We are somewhat sausage challenged here in the heartland -- which is odd. I always have a hard time finding what I want for bangers and mash!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cauldron sausages are favourites here too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the sound of the cheesy scone dough and for them as lunch box fillers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. On your recommendation, which I rate very high (!), I shall have to try said Cauldron sausages. They do look good and what lucky girls to have them in their lunch box.

    Something I always wonder is why are some vegetarian foods shaped/made to be like meat products?

    ReplyDelete
  7. The cheesy scone pastry sounds delicious. We used to really like Cauldron sausages but then they changed the recipe (from tofu to TVP) and became more meatlike in texture (well, from what I remember, having been a non meat eater for 30 years). So the boy here has started making his own using a Simon Rimmer recipe. Very tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We had quorn meat balls for the first time this week and they were rather delicious. As an ex veggie (14 years, but craved meat when pregnant) I don't like to replicate meat, but the boys do, and we all loved them

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yep, echoing Emma here - I have to try those too, they look and sound delicious and just the thing on a cold, wet day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. If I try to drink enough water and bathe in hand cream would I be less wrinkly all over do you think??
    Will add these to my 'look yummy, must make' list.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me some feedback! I love reading your comments and I do my best to reply to them. If Blogger gives me your email address, or if I can find one on your blog I'll try to reply by email; otherwise I'll reply in the comments here.