Sunday, 15 April 2012

An end to lunchbox tedium?

I don't know how many of you watched the Fabulous Baker Brothers a while back on Channel 4. I found them extremely entertaining, though possibly I wasn't supposed to laugh out loud at the program quite as frequently as I did. They reminded me of some of the boys I went to college with. That may or may not be a good thing.

Anyway,  they did have some tempting recipes, and one that really caught my eye was the Sliders. Not the burgers, as past experience has led me to believe that burgers and I will never be friends (I love red steak but cannot countenance a rare burger, and if it's cooked as thoroughly as I need it to be, it resembles a hockey puck and is about as digestible). I have no idea why they're called sliders. I suspect I may not want to know. But the buns - now we're talking.


The recipe is here, and they were easy and altogether too delicious. I can't make these too often because they are small enough that it is far too easy to trough one every time you pass them. But they were very good for lunchboxes and made a refreshing change from Hovis sandwiches. How I loathe making  Hovis sandwiches for children's lunches seemingly every day.     

And as luck would have it, we'll be near Chipping Sodbury in a few weeks time so I might just pop into the Hobbs House Bakery and try the originals for myself!



15 comments:

  1. oh the sliders look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm, they do indeed look delicious - I must check out that recipe!
    R x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooohhh - I didn't watch the programme, but I love the look of those buns.

    Nina x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Must try making them. Nothing beats the smell of bread baking in the oven!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh those are cute, and would help a lot in the "make your sandwiches plan" I have, which does Not work when you present an 11year old boy with a loaf of homemade bread and a sharp knife, bread massacre results. no blood loss yet thankfully.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh yum -- they look delicious. Thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now they look scrummy. I've bookmarked the recipe.

    I'm obsessed with The Pink Whisk's white bread at the moment - have you tried that? I don't know what it is that makes it so special, other than I usually make malted.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're a superwoman. Your own bread for sandwiches? That's beyond the call.

    ReplyDelete
  9. hoe fantastic. I too hate making packed lunches from dull bread so will give this a go. thank you

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those boys were funny and your sliders look good. I'm ashamed to say, I ordered the book (v. cheap at Book People) but have yet to make anything from it. I really am beyond hopeless.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My son would have a jam buttie everyday for his packed lunch if I let him! These little buns look very tempting, when I make some I might share them with the children :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooh thanks for the link Val. Amy now takes packed lunches and these look delicious! I hope you get the chance to pop into that bakery, it looks wonderful. I fancy the fig and walnut bread, sounds good for eating with a slab of strong cheddar - yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooh, are they sweet rolls, like they use for the sliders here? I'm not much of a burger person, but I'll sometimes order sliders just for the sweet rolls...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me some feedback! I love reading your comments and I do my best to reply to them. If Blogger gives me your email address, or if I can find one on your blog I'll try to reply by email; otherwise I'll reply in the comments here.