Friday, 13 April 2012

Beaded herringbones

I recently splashed out on a copy of  The Beaded Bracelet by Carole Rodgers. I think I've mentioned my old love of working with seed beads before; I love their colours, and their size, and the fact that you can build up a collection of colours relatively inexpensively. My favourites are Japanese Miyuki beads - the colours are gorgeous and the beads are fairly consistently sized so they're easier to work with than some others. I don't always love seed bead designs, and have made my fair share of exceptionally ugly creations but you can't have everything!


Anyway, I spent a happy few hours sitting at the table in my parents' kitchen last week while my girls played with their cousin, learning various new stitches and playing with beads from my stash. One of my favourites was this bracelet with a bead mix called "Vineyard" in tubular herringbone stitch.


If you look very closely you can see the beads sloping together and apart, hence the name I guess. I used some brushed silver spacer beads and made it marginally tighter on my wrist than I usually do - but it's a very soft and forgiving piece and I barely even notice I'm wearing it. Fast becoming a favourite here!


14 comments:

  1. The holidays seem to call for a little project or two, even for us grown-ups! I have many little seed beads stashed and I don't even make jewellery! They are just really appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's very pretty. I'm always drawn to seed beads too not that I do much with them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a lovely bracelet.........sadly I do not have a bead stash......I feel a little put out by that fact.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to see that you've had a little crafty time over the easter hols and what a beautiful result of your well spent time. It looks very complicated to me but you've done a very profeesional job, it's really gorgeous Val.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh that's so lovely. The colours are very berry-like. It's great to hear that you took a project away with you.I meant to then didn't manage it. Humph. How were the horseys?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh how pretty! I love those sweet little beads -- they're so versatile. Unfortunately, I always forget about them. Very cute little bracelet!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks very pretty - time consuming too...

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a gorgeous bracelet!!! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful handmade bracelet!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me some feedback! I love reading your comments and I do my best to reply to them. If Blogger gives me your email address, or if I can find one on your blog I'll try to reply by email; otherwise I'll reply in the comments here.