Wednesday, 22 February 2012

Undercaffeinated woman, step away from the keyboard


Right now, the most frustrating sentence in the English language appears to be "Is it an emergency?" Well, no, no-one has an arm hanging off, and I am not about to go trudging off to A&E, but I have someone who doesn't feel 100% and has gone into school tearfully. The second most frustrating sentence definitely is, "You should have phoned at 8.30." I'm sorry, I tried at 8.30 but the lines were engaged and the school bell rings at 8.40 and we have already cut it too fine twice this week and I tried to use my mobile on the way back but the sounds of the school buses and lorries thundering past made it impossible to hear, and anyway, it's now only 8.50.

And, breathe.

Tiny Small is more than likely fine. Just before half term she had the horrible high temperature coldy fluey bug that's been doing the rounds and has been grotty since. I think she's probably fighting something off, and more than that she just seems off. Tomorrow is probably soon enough if she's still complaining in the morning. But the thing that galls me is that I know full well that if I'd been a bit less honest, a bit more bolshy, I would have taken that 11.30 emergency appointment and had my mind set at rest.

Oh, and while I'm on the subject, has anybody else in the UK noticed that the newest bottles of 6+ Calpol have had the dosage instructions changed so that what last week was a reasonable amount to give a 7 year old with a temperature nudging 40 would this week be an overdose?

And I got cross with Tall Small when she told me as we went into school that she had forgotten to do her homework. She hadn't written it down and I didn't know she was meant to have done it. So did I comfort her, wipe her tears and calmly go in to explain to her teacher, or did I first throw a hissy fit in the entrance hall? See if you can guess.

Rant over. I think. Here's the plan: Look at the new fishtank instead. Put the kettle on. Do a bit of exercise (steady). Just get on with it.

Bah.

20 comments:

  1. Woooooh! Calm down dear!

    I'm sure you feel better for the rant... maybe we need to meet up and go to choral evensong one day soon.

    Celia
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Something in the air today I think - am feeling rather end of tether-ish myself and snapping at everyone around me. Shall we blame it on February? Don't be to hard on yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I laugh will you be cross??!

    Beautifully articulated - I think it's fair to say we've all been there.

    Hx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate mornings like that. Seem to be an increasing number of them here. And the increase appears to be in direct correlation with me being back at work...
    Feel for you hun, give them a nice tea and make a cake and the status quo will be back on track. Ax

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm blaming the new moon. I have been making a note of the days when I feel exactly as you've described and there is a most definite pattern.
    Oh, and No2 went out the front door with a couple of jabs of my silent fingers behind him this morning ... if you get my drift?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think a slice of cake and a cup of tea is required on days like this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, the joys and frustrations. Breathe In. Breathe Out. I feel your pain in the medical arena -- they keep changing the numbers of what's acceptable over here too. I'm thinking people just want to justify their existence and make it look like they're doing something LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh dear, I hope by now you've had a cup of tea and life is a bit better. get well soon Tiny Small.
    (oh and as for the homework, if I tell you that E was tearing the house apart looking for his science homework that he did the first day of half term and then Lost, would that help)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think that tea, cake and some tiny little books could be what I will prescribe for you (Finished one this morning... other two started!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Does he really need to see a doctor?"
    "No, I just thought I'd ring for the hell of it you stupid woman!!"

    I feel your pain and anger, bloody doctor's receptionist need lining up and shooting (possibly a little harsh?).

    And we all have those 'bad mother' moments when we don't always say what we should but hey ho, no one died: you felt bad all day and the hugs at hometime will have been all the sweeter for it.

    Hope tomorrow is better x

    ReplyDelete
  11. And now your comment box has eaten my comment.

    But what I said were lots of hugs and kisses, and that you could look at the bright side and appreciate that if you had been OVERcaffeinated, the hissy fit might have been REALLY over the top. (Hope that the exercise and fishtank gazing helped.)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sometimes it is good to have a hissy fit, far better to just let it out. Hope everything is better tomorrow. x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Relax. You have never even seen a hissy fit on the scale of one of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Most mornings by the time I've screeched 'put your shoes on!!!' for the 27th time I'm ready to throw a hissy fit.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Definitely a deep breathe needed! Plus lots of tea! What a morning! Xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Definitively something in the air. Same mood here. Just stare at the fishtank... (ehm? no fish)

    I noticed that about Calpol. very confusing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have a theory that they send medical receptionists to Rotweiler School. I use dto think it was just doctor's ones but after the hospital yesterday I know it is ALL of them.

    Kepp breathing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Not a fun start to the day! Hope that it has improved since. And I think any of us would have thrown a hissy fit under the same conditions so don't feel too bad xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. I do hope things felt better yesterday and today. How is she? And how are you?? Drop me a line. Or I'll give you a bell.

    ReplyDelete
  20. That doesn't sound like a great start to the day but I hope it improved. Sending you hugs, Lucy xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me some feedback! I love reading your comments and I do my best to reply to them. If Blogger gives me your email address, or if I can find one on your blog I'll try to reply by email; otherwise I'll reply in the comments here.