Wednesday, 28 December 2011

I think I've peaked

Was your Christmas a good one? Was it? Ours was. Really, really lovely - and we get to do it all over again this weekend when we see both our families, hurrah!



One of the reasons for my excitement and my early morning wakefulness on Christmas Day was that I knew I had spent a lot of time making an extra special present for the girls and I could barely wait for them to open it.



You may remember they are huuuuge Harry Potter fans? For Tiny Small's seventh birthday we had an (unblogged) HP party, at which the highlight was a Potions class - lots of mixtures that smell good, or are sparkly, or fizz, or bubble, or pop, or change colour - or all of them in sequence. Anyway, as a result my two have been hankering for potions kits since October, and how could I refuse?



It started with tiny weeny pestles and mortars, and quickly escalated. I found papier mache tea bag boxes and miniature bottles at my local craft shop, and with a bit of paint, some saved small jam jars and bottles, and some ingredients from the kitchen cupboards they were transformed into ingredients chests.




I downloaded a spell book here, and was inspired to make my very own potion book - you would be amazed at what you can find on the  Harry Potter Wiki in the way of ingredients lists and recipes.






Some of the potions I made up recipes for, others are straight out of the books, but the one thing I did do was have a long hard think about all of the ingredients so that the potions ended up the right colour, or fizzed, or shone.



Of course, once I'd gone that far I had to make it look "authentic" so I used brown paper, string and sealing wax to package it all up and left two big boxes inside the front door for them to find.



It took far more time than money to create (the priciest part was the pestles and they are far from essential), but I will not soon forget the cries and squeals of delight, or the fact that for the last three mornings they have woken up asking to do "potioneering". They've tried all my recipes, and started writing their own. I need to think up some more ingredients for them.

  
I think this is the the best thing I've ever made. And I am thrilled that my children do too.



PS I'm happy to converse with you if you want to make something similar. Especially ideas for potion ingredients for whizzing and fizzing and kitchen chemistry-ing ...

38 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, I am in awe of your scientific creativity! They will remember this Christmas all their lives xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You fabulous person. I cannot ever let Smallbean see this- he would be SO green. It is the best part of Christmas, seeing the smalls faces. Now time to wish you Happy New Year. Ax

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are the coolest mother who ever lived. And yes, let's converse. My secondborn hasn't even heard of Harry Potter, but given his love of things spooky (the Scooby Doo obsession is still going strong) and science-y (of which there is a huge lack at school, alas), I think this could be the ultimate seventh-birthday gift come March.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh you are the very finest of creative Mummies. Johnny is doing Harry Potter club as an activity at school this coming term - if the ideas are half as much fun as yours he'll be in for a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks so fantastic! Even I would have loved to get one of those packages on Christmas morning. How clever!
    A guide book would be great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brilliant! Just mind blowingly brilliant!! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely need to converse! This is simply genius. My oldest turns 9 at the end of January and read all the books in less than six months last year. She would love something like this for her birthday!

    PS. Unbelievably my word verification code was potions!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fantastic gift! I would be thrilled to receive it, and I'm almost 30! They must have been over the moon. Your packaging is super authentic and looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How wonderful, perfect gift for any Harry potter fan small or large! I'm still knitting the H jumper that should have made its way under the tree...

    ReplyDelete
  10. What lucky girls and what an amazing present! I bet you enjoyed making their kits just as much as they've enjoyed playing with them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Genius! I'm so impressed. No wonder your kids were over the moon. That is the best sort of present too, one that you create with love and cleverness, knowing just what they'd like.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an amazing mother you are! I'd have given my eye-teeth for something like that when I was small.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! What a super mummy you are. I think I would have been excited getting a parcel like that.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You just might get the prize for "best Christmas mummy". What a super and thoughtful present to make for you children.

    ReplyDelete
  15. how amazingly brilliant!
    i can only imagine the delight of the girls at such an intricately thought out, detailed present. for the rest of their lives they'll remember 'that christmas when we got the potion sets'! wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my goodness. What a wonderful mummy you are. Am doubling efforts to ensure that my children never meet you or read your blog!!!! I suspect you got a huge amount of pleasure making it and am so glad it is a playing with not just looking at toy. Off to play with my boys in recompense for bought presents ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, what an amazing idea!!! I am sure this is one present your girls will never, ever forget, made even more special by the fact that you didn't just buy it from a shop. Genius!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Early incalcation, my personal favourite. Great job Missus.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I wish you were my mum. Or alternatively, I wish you were me.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fab creation, no wonder they were very happy indeed x

    ReplyDelete
  21. oh my. I want to come and live at your house x

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a fantstic present and what a clever mummy you are.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love this story and have tried so hard to imagine the excitement on Christmas morning. I told my little niece all about the boxes and her face went quite still with wanting a spell box of her own.
    One day, when they are older, they will tell you all about that special Christmas morning when their dreams came true and you will live it all over again.

    ReplyDelete
  24. OMG - This is just THE most amazing and wonderful present ever. Oh you should be thrilled - how excited were they? ... I'm so so impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  25. wow what an amazing idea - no wonder they were excited - what a brilliant mum theyve got!!!!!xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  26. This post is evidence, if ever it were needed, that you are such a brilliant mother. What a fantastic, personal, and wonderful gift. I'm glad to know you had such a lovely Christmas, and wish you all a wonderful 2012. :) x

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh. Spectacular. Wonderful. This must be one of the best presents ever.

    Happy happy New Year to you, Mr DC and the girls from all of us here xxx

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh.My.Gosh! You. Are. Brilliant!!! What a FANTASTIC gift Ms. Dotty -- no wonder the girls were thrilled. Wow. Would it be silly to make one for myself??? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh, pure magic (sigh). The stuff that childhood dreams are made of. You are the best mom ever!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Totally amazing! They will remember these forever!!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a stupendous present Val! You really are the best! It looks so authentic! Sorry it has taken me so long to catch up on blogs. Lucy xx

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow I cannot wait until my children are old enough to make them something like this, you are a genius! Wow wow wow lucky kids indeed!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oh my that is truly wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  34. you are my hero.

    Seriously. No 2 would have been floored by this present.

    Geesh. What a mum.

    ReplyDelete
  35. What a brilliant present. They will remember that for the rest of their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I was researching for my 9 year old birthday party 'Harry Potter' theme and came up to your blog. It sounds amazing what you did for your girls. I was wondering if you could share few potion recipes? The one in the pictures looks amazing! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me some feedback! I love reading your comments and I do my best to reply to them. If Blogger gives me your email address, or if I can find one on your blog I'll try to reply by email; otherwise I'll reply in the comments here.