Thursday, 1 December 2011

An Active Advent


We are now entering my favourite three weeks of the year - I think I enjoy the run up to Christmas as much as (more than?) the day itself. We have daft numbers of things to get done, concerts and plays coming out of our ears, but in the middle of it all one of our most important traditions is an activity advent calendar. These abound in blogland, and in the past I have used a rather ugly fabric calendar to contain the ideas - but this year I braved papercraft - it turns out even I can stick festive stickers onto little white envelopes and dangle them from the banisters.

So given that the time may be approaching when my elder girl is no longer excited by this kind of thing, I was thinking I might have a go at saving our fun and games for posterity and posting a little picture every day of what we've been up to. There may be very few words, there may be lots. It depends. I may fail completely and delete all evidence of previous posting, ahahahaha!



None of the activities is terribly original, and I don't claim that any were entirely my idea. This was today's:



We fitted it in between the after school activities and the brownie trip to visit the local guides, and it was ten minutes of very silly fun. Just what we needed!



15 comments:

  1. Love silly fun! I'm looking forward to seeing what you get up to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Silly fun is the best sort!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How Fun! I'll be looking forward to seeing all the fun you're having this month -- thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Already looking forward to seeing what's next! K x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree - silly fun it has to be!

    Pomona x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the thumbprinting! Oh no your blog advent calendar is going to be so much better than mine ... !! Will be watching every day to make sure you post something ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your advent calendar! You are making me wish we had stairs so we could hang ours there too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Silly fun is the best kind!

    Just found you via Daisyley, I'll be back :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I love the thumbprint pictures! Such a cute idea!
    R x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm spending the run up to Christmas at yours next year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So often the enjoyment of the approaching day is marred by all of the dashing about and panic buying so well done you for making time to celebrate the small and simple joys that the season should really be all about. You have 2 lucky girls to have such a down-to-earth, creative mum xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the idea of an activity calendar but always found that I failed to actually achieve the activities we planned! I always have bigger aspirations than I am able to manage so I am in impressed awe of your lovely calendar and plans! Lucy xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. i think this is such a great idea...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me some feedback! I love reading your comments and I do my best to reply to them. If Blogger gives me your email address, or if I can find one on your blog I'll try to reply by email; otherwise I'll reply in the comments here.