Sunday, 20 June 2010

Glamour for teddies


June is always a big month in the DC household with two birthdays coming very close together. Mine was last week, and then yesterday my gorgeous Tall Small turned 8 and I swear she grew another inch overnight. She's up to my shoulder now, though she has a way to go before she catches up Mr DC.

For the very first time we were able to have her birthday party on her birthday - a terrifically exciting prospect for anyone, I think you'll agree. After the success of the mug painting we were contemplating an at-home pottery party but it turns out one of her little friends has had the same idea for next month. So ... thinking caps on. Here are a couple of clues:


Lots of concentration and creativity and glue and trimmings and sequins.


And a fair few of these furry friends.


Got it? Yes indeed, Build a Bear eat your heart out, we made summer beach costumes for our teddies. Aha! Lots of frantic cutting up of net half an hour before the girls arrived and a lightbulb moment when we realised the beach skirts were far easier if the bears were wearing their ribbon waistbands before we tried to tie the fabric onto them.


There was slightly heart stopping moment when they all looked at me in confusion after I'd explained they were going to use glue to decorate their T-shirts, but they soon fell in with great enthusiasm and I could kick myself for running out of time to take pics of the fashion show.


And the best part of all? Tall Small loved every minute, and was able to spend time with a friend she's known since they were both 6 months old but these days we see only a couple of times each year. When we got to the end of the party one of the girls turned round to her mum and said "You're too early!" And I have to say I felt the same way - this really is a fabulous age for still-quite-little-but-growing-up-every-day girl parties.

36 comments:

  1. Happy belated birthday! What a wonderful birthday party too, with the cutest cuddly bears and bunnies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have enjoyed that party so much when I was eight! I bet they will all remember it for years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like a wonderful party! Belated birthday wishes to both you and Tall Small.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fab sounding party! Happy birthday to you and tall small! Lucy xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful party. I would have loved to come too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gone all goosepimply reading that. I've got a bit of a wait before Smaller Bean can do that sort of party. Very clever idea, Mrs DC.

    Hope you had a whole heap of fun on your birthday, Happy Belateds to you. Ax

    ReplyDelete
  7. happy birthday tall small, what a lovely pary - your mummy is a clever cookie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. a very happy birhday to you both!!! What very gorgeous teddies! brilliant idea!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea! Would you mind if i borrowed it :-)

    Happy birthday to you both!!!

    Valula

    ReplyDelete
  10. A clutch of Happy Birthdays to you both! And what an inspired party idea - I'd quite like to go to one myself!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Late but very happy smiley birthday wishes for you and the tall smnall. Plus you get all the uberMummy points going for such a splendid party idea.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy belated birthday to you both!

    What a great party idea. I'll have to remember that one

    ReplyDelete
  13. A huge happy birthday to you and Tall Small!

    That is such a fabulous idea for a party and the teddies do look very glam indeed :o)

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. How fun -- how could you not love a party like that! What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those are some VERY glam teddies--so cute! And what a great idea of a birthday party... Happy belated birthday wishes to your sweet Tall Small and to you, DottyCookie :o) ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  16. A double Happy Birthday! And what a totally fab party idea. K x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh yes. Those are glamour bears alright. They are ready for their close ups.

    This is inspired.

    It was so lovely to see you last week

    x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh and a belated happy birthday to Tall Small. It's obvious a wonderful time was had x

    ReplyDelete
  19. belated wishes to you both , looks like a great way to spend a birthday, building teddies. July is our month for birthdays ..

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a fab party idea! When we did the crafty party it finished too early too - I think they would have been happy for a few more hours lol. Happy birthday to you too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. How fun! And what glamourous bears and bunnies you have there ;-).

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy Birthday to you both - fantastic idea for a party, that's the sort of thing my girlhood dreams were made of! They must have had a whale of a time

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a great idea for a party! It's the sort of thing they'll always remember. Love the photos. :) x

    ReplyDelete
  24. What fun! I want the pink bear. And yes, I think eight-year-olds are rather magical. When Papa S. was still considering a teaching career, third graders were what he wanted to teach...

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh it's quite brilliant, I have mentally filed your idea which is way more exciting than Buildabear

    ReplyDelete
  26. So lovely! Glad everyone had such a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oooh, happy birthdays all round! What a lovely party idea. Did you have your own party too?

    ReplyDelete
  28. Build a bear eat your heart out indeed! My children would love this - happy birthday to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  29. what a perfect party Val and the guests obviously thought so too ("you're too early" is music to any party planners ears!) Belated happy Birthday to even Taller Small x

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a super idea, no wonder they all loved it. Getting together with friends to make things is wonderfuk no matter how old you are!
    And a belated Happy birthday to you too!x

    ReplyDelete
  31. What an absolutely brilliant idea! Happy Belated Birthday wishes to all you cookies x

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh! A girl party!!! How wonderful. Every time I have tried crafts at my boys' parties the kids have looked with disdain and returned to kicking the football around!

    ReplyDelete
  33. hi ! :)
    we also have two birthdays in June in the family, my hubby & my oldest son, who turned 8 on the 24th :)
    now this is fabulous that you get to be very near The Orchard tea garden ! How great that it didn't change ! I loved it there !
    thanks so much for letting me know about that !

    ReplyDelete
  34. Fantastic idea for a party! Happy belated birthday to you and Tall Small. I almost never get good photos at my childrens' parties, always too busy. It's nice you got a few good ones anyway.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me some feedback! I love reading your comments and I do my best to reply to them. If Blogger gives me your email address, or if I can find one on your blog I'll try to reply by email; otherwise I'll reply in the comments here.