Tuesday, 8 December 2009

Cheers!


I don't generally have the storage space (or indeed the finances) to run to special Christmas crockery - a couple of very cheap plates for mince pies and otherwise it's down to candles decorations and homemade napkins for festive cheer. This year I did spot an idea here for etching glasses with snowflakes which really appealed to me. Only I couldn't get hold of etching cream in Cambridge so instead these are made using Pebeo glass frosting medium and some stickers from the local craft shop, applied inside a circle masked off with book covering film. The glasses are some very cheap Value ones (4 for 79p!) as I wasn't sure this would work so didn't want to wreck decent ones just in case. I applied a good thick coat of the medium and left it for the recommended 24 hours before peeling off the stickers. It dried gratifyingly matt and not too streaky, though I did need to neaten the edges slightly where the medium had leaked under my masking circle. Pebeo claim the frosting is dishwasher safe after drying and baking but I think I'll handwash these anyway!

23 comments:

  1. I adore those, they look fantastic. We dont have any Christmas crockery at all. I hope to start a collection someday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a super idea. They look so lovely and wintery! K x

    ReplyDelete
  3. They came out great! I've always wanted to etch something - hmmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh those are fantastic
    And you not what is (possibly) even more fantastic?
    I showed it to the lovely and said that maybe it was a solution to my eternal quest for a tasteful christmas teapot, and he not only said that it was nice but that HE APPROVED! Now I must go to muji asap to buy a glass teapot....
    Hurrah hurrah and thank you :D
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. They worked really well... fantastic idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just a thimbleful....
    Wow - I'm impressed. What a great result, I had NO idea that could be done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ingenious! You think of everything!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Val. What a great idea. Really want to have a go now. Sun is out here today after my moan about the rain! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. They are lovely! I have a thing for snowflakes! Not real ones, obviously...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do like those... and I've been promising the Lattes Christmas glasses for a while...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brilliant. these are really lovely. x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Totally fabby Val! Lucy xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, I'll have a glass...cheers! Those are very sweet and festive--great idea! I think I'd go for hand-washing too--just in case. :o) Happy Days ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very pretty and just right for Christmas drinkies... it looks very good. I shall have to look out for some of that etching cream. I've some glass candle votives that might look good etched.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fab idea, Val!

    I can think of all sort of glassy surfaces that might need that treatment!!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. The glasses are very cute, ready for some festive fun!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Aw, lovely.

    I used to do glass engraving with a diamond-tipped pencil type thing. I used to drive my mum nuts scratching away at glass all evening long. If only she had bought me Pebeo's medium instead...

    ReplyDelete
  18. It looks very festive and very economical - just up my street!

    Pomona x

    ReplyDelete
  19. ooooh that's so gorgeous. I have some etching spray somewhere - I might try doing this on some of my lanterns :) M x

    ReplyDelete
  20. I sent the Husband to buy Christmassy tumblers but he couldn't find any. Shame you don't have a little shop to sell yours.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your glasses are beautiful, and thank you for the snow angel tutorial too. It's so adorable. I'm ready to put away my other crafts and get started on one or...five!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me some feedback! I love reading your comments and I do my best to reply to them. If Blogger gives me your email address, or if I can find one on your blog I'll try to reply by email; otherwise I'll reply in the comments here.