Wednesday, 11 November 2009

Kitchen Poetry, Wednesday

There was an interesting post over at A Commonplace Life recently dealing with the idea that maybe in blogging we should try to reflect real life rather than always editing out the messy bits and cropping the untidy corners out of our photos. While I can sympathise with the frustration induced by viewing other people's seemingly perfect houses and immaculate children and endless talents, I'm not going to post pictures of the six empty milk cartons waiting to be recycled into the school swimming pool (dump in a handful of gravel and put them in the water and they theoretically prevent it freezing over in winter). Likewise you don't need to see the three sacks of logs waiting in my kitchen because I haven't yet stacked them and there's no room in the shed and I don't want them to be rained on overnight.

But I am happy to share with you this evidence of my hopelessness:


This is our weather tree. A lovely idea stolen from some inspirational parenting blog that I cannot now recall, the idea is to colour in a leaf each day to represent the prevailing weather - blue for rain, gold for sun and so on.

Well, daily colouring went by the by after about a three days, and we finally gave up even the weekly 'catch up' colouring sessions by February. We made a brief attempt to restart in April, but since then, nothing. And have I taken the wretched thing down? No, it's still there, reproaching me daily for being both a forgetful parent and a lazy housekeeper. Humph.

Oh well. Hope that makes you feel better!

20 comments:

  1. this made me smile...in a good way

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, you made me smile too. It's an interesting idea, posting the grottier corners of our lives, I think perhaps I look at mine enough all day long, I quite like the escapism of blogworld. Of course, I suppose if I posted images of my squalor it might shame into actually tidying up a bit. Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course it made me feel better... to know that we are all just the same at heart!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how normal is that - smiling away. I do not take on long projects with the boys as we all forget!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's the thought that counts! I'm like that with workbooks - I must have spent a fortune over the years and never managed to get past the first couple of pages. And now the big boys are going off and away, and it all pales into insignificance. But they tell me they like having a slack mother, so there's hope yet!

    Pomona x

    ReplyDelete
  6. we are all the same - i would love to have a perfectly tidy house, just for once, but, never gonna happen - and much rather talk about sewing, knitting, etc, than the mahoosive pile of laundry, etc.!

    xx
    and you certainly wouldn't want to see pics of that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well it was a good idea while it lasted!! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. SO much better, I can't tell you. I thought about the weather tree, but I knew my limitations. You, at least, exhibit optimism.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't think I'd ever be able to remember which color for which weather...especially first thing in the morning! K x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, it still looks pretty, even in its unfinished state!

    My thought: "Ooh, we should do a project like that!"

    My next thought: "We, too, would lose interest/forget about it after a few weeks..."

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Val what a funny post! How many of these projects have we had around our house - TOO MANY!!!
    We can't even fill in star charts effectively, only ever managed to finish one (for my reluctant reader.)
    And when I crop out the mess in my house it's not for other people, it's because I don't want to see it myself! But of course you're welcome to come and view our messy house in person anytime :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. PS, I forgot to say "Good Morning" : )

    ReplyDelete
  13. This made me chuckle more than a photo of a bag of logs!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think if we'd tried that I wouldn't even have finished drawing all the leaves....

    ReplyDelete
  15. At least you had made the effort to make your own weather tree! I had a beautiful printed one and we didn't get anywhere near as many leaves coloured as you so that's much worse! And it stayed on the walls for months!

    Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
  16. this is very timely as recently I have been feeling just a wee bit intimidated by the fabulous and creative parenting/ homemaking on some blogs.

    We do have to remember not to compare and to know we are all just doing our best.

    Free up wall space and sling the tree!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like the tree, and who cares if its never finished - that's part of its charm :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's not so bad. Our house is so messy, whenever there's a knock at the door we hide behind the sofa and pretend we're not in!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm sure there's a website somewhere that has a weather history for your area. There you go - not so hopeless anymore...

    ReplyDelete
  20. A weather tree for here would be ridiculously boring.

    I figure that I'm being honest enough by telling people that my house is a mess. That's disclosure enough for me. If they want to imagine a house that's just gently messy, instead of 'you might break a leg in attempting to cross one of my kids' bedrooms', that's fine. I see no reason to provide pictorial evidence to the contrary...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me some feedback! I love reading your comments and I do my best to reply to them. If Blogger gives me your email address, or if I can find one on your blog I'll try to reply by email; otherwise I'll reply in the comments here.