Tuesday, 10 November 2009

Kitchen Poetry, Tuesday


So, having showed off our (not very shiny) coffee machine yesterday, I thought I should come clean and reveal what I really drink most of the time. I used to have a serious Lady Grey habit - a couple of pots per day, easily, plus frequent cups of coffee = a lot of caffeine. I've given up caffeine many times in the past - when I was pregnant, when I had just had the babies, and when I realised that if I missed my morning coffee I had the most appalling withdrawal headaches that it made me wonder whether it was such a good thing to be drinking so much.

The thing that triggered me this time was a friend whose sister is a nurse telling me about a patient who had such seriously high blood pressure he was about to be medicated, but was given one last chance. "Try giving up caffeine for a couple of weeks and see what happens," suggested the doctor. So, he tried, and lo and behold his blood pressure came back down to normal. Now, obviously this is second or third hand, and we don't know how much coffee he had previously been drinking, whether he had to gave up chocolate too (unthinkable) or even whether he actually existed, but it did make me stop and think about what I was drinking all day, every day.

Anyone who tries to tell you that Redbush tea tastes just like "real" tea is telling a big fib - there's a very definite and distinctive edge to it; but I have got used to it and now I rather like it. Don't worry though, there's still normal tea in the cupboard for visitors!

18 comments:

  1. I love that packaging - no wonder I buy it!

    We checked the caffeine content of various beverages the other day, of course fresh strong black coffee is by far the highest and tea is a fraction by comparison and Chocolate has just a trace.

    But even so I think I ought to get the Redbush Tea out again - I went through a phase of loving the loose leaf Redbush - as you say, it's an acquired taste but rather nice in a strange sort of way :-)

    Celia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two things:

    1. I'm a rooibos fan. My favorite is Good Hope Vanilla by Republic of Tea; it tastes like caramel candy to me.

    2. I am one of those people for whom too much caffeine = elevated BP. And it doesn't take much...

    Living vicariously through those of you whose kitchens are bright enough to take photos in...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember my first cup of red bush tea, the smell - very distinct.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never tried Rooiboos but I do occasionally drink fruit tea in the afternoon. Usually tea in the mornings and a coffee mid am. Very colourful packaging though. Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm enjoying your kitchen poetry Ms. Dotty. I drink way too much caffeine too and really should clean up my act!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oooh, lovely box! Not a big tea drinker myself, but do like a cup of proper coffee in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am a Tea Monster!!!! Coffee does funny things to me (I only yearn for the gaggia for the steamed milk) MadMad is the coffee drinker.

    I have South Arican Friends who tried to introduce me to Red Bush Tea - I couldnt manage it at all. I need my english breakfast tea or Fortumn and Mason Royal Blend!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do like rooibos, but I don't drink it too often - tea is too much of a pull. My mum on the other hand lives on the stuff; she too gave up caffiene and to her, rooibos "tastes like she thought tea would taste"!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay for tea and yay for "proper" coffee and double yay for hot chocolate with steamed milk! Will you be showing us your wine selection next????

    ;o) Locket xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Perhaps we should start calling you Mma Dottycookie and passing you our mysteries.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Phew. Thank goodness my blood pressure is on the low side.

    Actually someone once did tell me their doctor had told them to drink coffee to raise their low blood pressure.

    I told you it was a Pure Good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am hoping Santas going to deliver me a coffee machine this Christmas. I plan to caffeinate myself into the stratosphere.

    If I need to come back down, I'll remember the rooibos (can't bring myself to call it redbush - it sounds vaguely rude to me...)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Have you tried Dragonfly Tea Earl Grey rooibos?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm taking arnica this week in preparation for a surgery on Friday and was told not to drink coffee or peppermint. It's killing me! I didn't ever consider I was hooked on caffeine, but I'm dying for my morning mug(s) of coffee. Tea just doesn't do it for me in the first part of the day. I have to have loads of biscuits with it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm the same, I've cut out caffeine endless times, but I always end up drinking it again, I hate the way I get those headaches but I can't bring myself to drink rooibos... just as well as you can't see the huge steaming mug of Yorkshire tea next to the laptop......

    ReplyDelete
  16. Must try Redbush tea. Although pretty sure it could never replace my morning cup of coffee :) K

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice box. I've recently switched to green tea. Japanese, not Chinese. Still deciding whether I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Like 'normal' tea, it's better with Soy milk (IMHO!). I have a serious tea habit, but i can't stand the stuff if it's got cows milk in it. Yuk.

    xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me some feedback! I love reading your comments and I do my best to reply to them. If Blogger gives me your email address, or if I can find one on your blog I'll try to reply by email; otherwise I'll reply in the comments here.