Friday, 4 September 2009

Taking my mind off it

Well, it's official, I'm no longer the mother of pre-school children. Tiny Small started at the village primary yesterday and the combination of that with Tall Small going into KS2 has left me feeling like I've gone through an emotional mangle. Anyway, they're having a lovely time, which is of course the main thing, and I have managed so far only to fall apart when they're not in the room. I must be learning self control in my old age. Well, apart from the chocolate - for therapeutic purposes, you understand.


So as a distraction I have been looking back through photos of our holiday this summer. We spent two weeks in a little cottage in Croyde, famous for its surf and its pubs - both of which we fully enjoyed. One weekend we saw James Cracknell on the beach teaching his son to bodyboard, just the same as we were, though I think he looked rather more glamorous in his wetsuit than I did in mine.

There was plenty of rockpooling action:

Quite a bit of seagull chasing:


Sliding down sand-dunes - rather her than me; and yes, she did complain about the sand getting everywhere!


One afternoon we ventured away from the beach and headed for a walk along the cliffs above the bay. I think this photo was taken just after the point where our collective vertigo kicked in - the cliff path is the brown band about 30 feet down the hill from where we were standing, and we had taken the higher alternative just as soon as we could ...



There's nothing quite like sea air to make you sleep well and give you an appetite - which probably explains why my clothes felt tighter at the end of the holiday!

18 comments:

  1. Oh well done you for holding it together. Sending your baby off is a very hard task.

    Pics show a fabulous holiday was had by all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am currently in denial about school. MaxiMad starts Reception on Monday ad MiniMad starts preschool the month after.

    Your holiday looks fantastic, lucky you for getting some ice weather.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck to both tall and small as they start at new parts of school (worryingly it doesn't feel all that long ago that I was in their place...)

    The holiday looks lovely, just the sort of calm(ish) restiveness needed!
    xx
    ps. speaking of restiveness, word v = resti....

    ReplyDelete
  4. its such a weird feeling when the whole starting school thing comes around - i seem to be as bad this year about the daughter starting in KS2 (juniors) i still think of her as a 5 year old - and my august baby went into year one - where does the time go!!
    i advise much much more chocolate ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good grief, two years and I still haven't found a damn rock pool. I have a kit and everything.

    I'll join you with the chocolate in about 10 days - our school has staggered starts, so I have one week with Eldest in school and one heartwrenching week with just me and Littlest - I'd got used to the chaos over the summer, so that last little speck of me-and-her time is going to be more of a tragic reminder than something to savour.

    You're right. I need to buy more chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh we're in the same boat so to speak as my two are now both in school. Bittersweet indeed. I spent quite a few childhood summers in Croyde with my cousins (my grandparents lived close by) and have very fond memories of it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No chance that I would EVER choose to walk on that pathway!

    It is so very exciting when little ones start school. Developing independence in thought and action is wonderful to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Exciting times for the Misses Small - and now you can work hard doing all the things you want to do...so that you can spend time with them in the evenings, at the weekends and during halfterms and holidays (not to mention INSET days) which I think that you will find is quite enought time to satisfy your maternal instincts!

    ReplyDelete
  9. my 'baby' is off to uni in two weeks - am trying hard not to think about it!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awww, it's so sad when we have to send them off into the world. I hope you can do some fun things for YOU to take your mind off of it. {Buying fabric always helps LOL.} Vacation pictures are beautiful - looks like you had a lovely time!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like you've been very brave with the smalls both at school now - it's horrible when your youngest goes off into the big wide world but you get used to it eventually! Love the holiday pics - Croyde is such a perfect holiday destination - we hope to make it back there one day. Good to have you back - hope to see you soon, J x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like you've been very brave with the smalls both at school now - it's horrible when your youngest goes off into the big wide world but you get used to it eventually! Love the holiday pics - Croyde is such a perfect holiday destination - we hope to make it back there one day. Good to have you back - hope to see you soon, J x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sand everywhere? Owwwwww!

    As for the vertigo - oooooooooooohhh! I'm with you there! Seriously scary!

    But it will get easier regarding school I promise.

    Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh my goodness!! i put on 7 pounds on holiday!! none of my trousers fit!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's odd when the littlest leaves the nest isn't it?

    And there is no way on earth I am stepping anywhere near a scale after the past week!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like a fabulous holiday. But no way I could do that cliff path--yikes! K x

    ReplyDelete
  17. I thought of you last week sending both those little girls off to school!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a beautiful coastline!
    I can remember these feelings well, but it does get easier....music helped some and creating..I couldn't face the unusually quiet house I think..good luck :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me some feedback! I love reading your comments and I do my best to reply to them. If Blogger gives me your email address, or if I can find one on your blog I'll try to reply by email; otherwise I'll reply in the comments here.