Friday, 25 September 2009

Cross eyed in Croyde

In the long distant past when my eyes were sharper and I could stay awake past 9pm, I belonged to a group of enthusiastic bead stitchers in Saratoga Springs. One of the ladies taught us brick stitch and peyote stitch and we made mad earrings and purses and daisy chain anklets from the tiniest seed beads we could fit on our needles. I still have boxes of minute beads squirrelled away - I can't bear to part with them even though my beading tastes have moved somewhat since then.

Then last summer I picked up a kit for making a beaded spiral bracelet, being sold to raise money for two schools in Zimbabwe. It sounded like a wonderful cause and the bracelet was rather enticing; but I foolishly tried to start the pattern after a restorative G&T and couldn't make any sense of it, so it languished in my knitting bag for an entire year. Then while we were away this summer, I tried again and it flew off my needle and onto my arm:


It makes me think of DNA - there's a double helix in there and although strictly speaking the bases are on the wrong side, I still find it appeals to the geek in me! The beading group have produced an entire book of fundraising designs - the Minerva Spirals book. I am tempted to have a go at this one next but going on past performance don't expect to see it before next summer!

25 comments:

  1. It's beautiful and so clever!! I think stone cold sober and strong specs are the way to go with such fine beading - counts me out then ;)

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty. I know nothing about beading but you mention needles - is it made by knitting?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cool! And I immediately thought of DNA too... K x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it!! It looks very complicated though!! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's lovely!

    I did laugh at "when my eyes were sharper and I could stay awake past 9pm" - glad it's not just me then!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pretty. And complicated looking.

    I did my first attempt at jewellery making today. As far as I can tell, the stretchy cord that I bought will not hold a knot, so it's going to fall apart at some inconvenient moment... Oh well, at least I don't wear jewellery very often.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm impressed. My only attempt at making jewellery was in my youth when I had a go at a choker. It involved what looked like dried berries and fastened with a safety pin, so you get an idea of the standard. I did wear it though someone thought I'd been tattooed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such lovely amber colours - perfect for autumn.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooooh, isn't that cool! And don't you love being a geek? It makes you notice so much more in life!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely! That reminds me that I have some beads for making snowflakes somewhere...perhaps if I started now, they might make Christmas...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just have to agree with Moogsmum's comment!!!!

    Locket xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's funny... G & T has that effect on me too. It is rather beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How lovely :) (I always find a g&t helps with crafting, although saying that, I haven't been so sure of myself the following morning!)
    xxx
    ps. word v = singstr - just had a wordv elswhere that was staystr... whats with the similarity?!

    ReplyDelete
  14. When the photo came up I thought double helix! It is so lovely--love the colors too! I'm a jewelry junkie, you know ;o) Happy Day ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  15. howards.carlings@btinternet.com

    Just a thimbleful -

    Mine's a Campari & lemonade, smoothes all paths. Lovely bracelet, when will the necklace be done?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love that it makes you think of DNA, very random (as my 10 year old would say). I think it's lovely DNA or not.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love it how the scientist in you always come out!!

    (I've bought hundreds of alka selzer tablets and water bottles because of you...)

    It's gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You clever beady sausage. Bases? I see no bases, only prettiness. Love the nerd moment x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ooooh, I like that a lot... darstedly g&t's always getting in the way!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is gorgeous Val! I really wish I knew how to 'bead' properly. I've always had a *thing* for beads and a friend of mine makes the most gorgeous pieces.

    Can't wait to see what you do next (summer)! x

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is so beautiful; it looks really intricate. You are very clever :)

    Do you scrapbook at all? If you did you could make a scrapbook page with your wedding photo and the poem on and then frame it? I've seen a few done like that and they are really effective :)xxx

    ReplyDelete
  22. That is a seriously beautiful DNA bracelet! It must have taken quite some skill and concentration. In fact, if you could come up with a pattern to get the bases on the right side, there may just be a market for DNA bracelets! Much better than the striped scarf our Biology teacher dragged out every year to demonstrate its structure with :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me some feedback! I love reading your comments and I do my best to reply to them. If Blogger gives me your email address, or if I can find one on your blog I'll try to reply by email; otherwise I'll reply in the comments here.