Saturday, 1 August 2009

School's out

Yes, OK, I know we broke up two weeks ago but as we know, life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it (bonus points and virtual cookies for anyone old enough to place that quote).

The last few days before the end of term were a flurry of teacher present making and biscuit baking. Here is the latest incarnation of dottycookies - little shortbread flowers and stars with a single Smartie stuck on with royal icing. Small enough to not feel guilty about sending them in as a last-day-of-school class snack, and yummy enough to feel like a treat.



I decided to make sunglass cases for the teachers (I KNOW!!! The July monsoons are all my fault!) as they always need them when they're teaching our little dolphins to swim in the outdoor pool. I ordered the scrumptious fabric from Julia at Gone to Earth, and would highly recommend you visit too - her selection is glorious, her prices are very good and the goodies arrive very quickly and so beautifully folded you hardly want to undo them! These are very basic zip pouches but long and narrow, and I used some of Julia's lovely fusible fleece to give them a bit of body.

I also made bracelets, because I can never resist doing that.


Tall Small made her own presents, and this is something we did for Father's Day too - a stack of post-its with her drawings on the edges and a little message written on the top one. The teachers are always having their post-its pinched (usually by me when I go in to sort out games for maths homework) and this way at least they can identify the offender!


PS Does anyone know why some comments end up needing moderation? I haven't asked blogger for that option and it means every so often I find a few lurking that I wasn't even aware had been posted! Apologies if your comments seem to have been lost in the ether as a result ...

19 comments:

  1. The shortbread biscuits look divine. Pretty sure I could easily pop fifteen of those before feeling guilty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, those little shortbread biscuits are lovely--so sweet! (Funny how we both posted on shortbread this weekend! ;o) Those cases and bracelets are so pretty. Goodness you've been busy. It's been raining here too, very storm this past week especially... I sure an extra dose of summer returns before it's autumn already. Happy Days to you all ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recognise those delicious little biccies! Lovely teachers' presents there. I don't think you were responsible for the pants July weather - not really. Lovely to see you the other day x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the cookies and the sunglass cases great teacher gifts - what lucky teachers

    ReplyDelete
  5. What great teacher presents! I love shopping at Gone to Earth too!

    Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd like to claim my virtual cookies please: that quote is from Ferris Bueller, one of my favourite films.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog :o)
    It's good to know who I can blame for all the rain ....

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful Mummy you are -- if I were a teacher, I'd want your children in my class!

    Sometimes a comment will go into moderation if a person used a word or phrase that is considered to be something that spammers would use -- like a drug name that might come from pharmaceutical spam -- you know the kind -- those ones that advertise to help out your love life??? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh -- beautiful treats all around!

    So tell me, is it exhilarating to have weather-making powers? Or maybe not so much, when the weather turns out to be something other than what you had in mind... Better luck next time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ferris Bueller's Day Off - one of my all time favourite films ever! (I went to see it with a couple of school friends and we had the whole cinema to ourselves!)
    The little cookies look very yummy too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your dottie cookies look delicious! Lucky teachers too with such fab sunglasses cases.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those look like rather special dotty cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What fab little cookies, must make some like that soon (although I may have to find a teensy cookie cutter first!)

    Also, definately don't blame you for the weather - blame the sods law that is the weather in this country these days!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh those cookies are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Is it wrong that I'm glad not to have to worry about teacher's presents anymore?
    Yours are very lovely though!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What lucky teachers - you make great prezzies :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad you're back. Time certainly does fly when you're that busy! You did an amazing job with the teacher pressies - they look great and the little biscuits are wonderful! Keep enjoying the summer hols x

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am loving how those smartie stars a lookings... yum scrum.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me some feedback! I love reading your comments and I do my best to reply to them. If Blogger gives me your email address, or if I can find one on your blog I'll try to reply by email; otherwise I'll reply in the comments here.