Friday, 9 January 2009

Once upon a time ...

... there were two little girls who longed for beds with fairy lights and princess netting and flowery quilts. And as they'd grown too long for their old beds, that's exactly what they now have.


Tall and Tiny Small's main Christmas present from us was one of Wee Wonderfuls fabulous Kit,Chloe and Louise dolls each, complete with a wardrobe of clothes I'd like to have, stashed in red velvet portmanteaux. Their names change daily but currently they are known as Theresa and Holly, and their sock wool hair is already growing bobbly with cuddling. This pattern is truly a joy to stitch (though I used waaaaaay more stuffing than I thought I ever could so I could achieve a good solid and robustly stuffed result). I've been told they need trousers and dressing gowns, so there will be more to come.

Anyway, it's lovely that they can now sleep fully stretched out instead of awkwardly folded up. I'm getting used to the idea that one of these days I am going to be the shortest person in this house. When people first see my children they usually say 'Goodness me, aren't they tall? And aren't they blonde?' - usually swiftly followed, after a cursory look at me by, 'Where do they get that from?' Well, it's all Mr DC's doing. I have never been either tall or blonde. Not even with the aid of heels and highlights.

Of course, new beds need bed pockets. And this was a good way to introduce some yellow in the room, because as soon as it was painted pink as requested, Tall Small changed her favourite colour ...

21 comments:

  1. Of course Tall Small did!

    I am longing to paint Margot's room and refresh it entirely...

    And I think fairy lights will be mandatory..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had planned on making my daughter a wee doll for Christmas, but didn't get around to it. My motivation apparently got up and wandered off some time back in October...

    I hope it turns out as sweet as those when I do get around to it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those dolls are wonderful, and I'm sure the bedroom is too. You must have done a lot of sewing!

    When I first made a monkey, it took oodles more stuffing than I first thought it would. In fact I would say the most expensive part is the flippin' stuffing: socks stretch loooooooooong!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What beautiful dolls for two beautiful tall blonde girls! And what fabulous beds - I wouldn't mind fairy lights like that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Val - I love that bed!! I love those dollies! ....and those fairy lights!

    Minx's bedroom is on 'the list' to be done this year. So far she wants white and lilac...or a zoo....or under the sea...or princesses on her walls!

    We have an Ikea opening just 2 miles from here next month so she may soon have other ideas!!!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH the beds look gorgeous! And the dolls are fab! And the bed pockets too! I want to come for a sleepover at your house - unfortuately I'm neither tall or blonde : (

    Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh how fun -- fairy lights and new dolls! And too cute about the favorite color -- I suspect there will be many changes over the years to come!

    ReplyDelete
  8. O think yellow must be the new pink...my niece made the exact same announcement!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm confused - were the beds for the dolls or the smalls? Either way the picture of the dolls looks like they're happy so thats always a good sign!

    Also... I have that duvet but in blue and I'm-a-grown-up-so-I-have-a-double-duvet size (not that my bed is!)


    xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. A bed of one's dreams, complete with cuddly companion - bliss.

    ReplyDelete
  11. those dolls are just adorable, and fairy lights round a bed, don't give me ideas, Miss K has a princess canopy which is crying out for more bling.....

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh i do like those dolls!! i bet the new beds look fab and dont you just love doing childrens rooms! i prefer my childrens rooms to my own bedroom !!
    Lesley x

    ReplyDelete
  13. What lovely dolls. Will we get a peek at their wardrobes I wonder?! My mum used to make all my doll's clothes (many of which I still own) but unfortunately my little one is quite a tomboy with no interest...!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely picture. The dolls are sooo cute. I must get some fairy lights for my bed.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I lurrrve that bed. The dolls are gorgeous - I have a doll on my want-to-do-list so may be using you as inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh the dolls are wonderful - lucky smalls! And new big girl beds too with fairy lights and princess netting - every little girl's dream come true (and some of us big girls too). I have the same feeling about soon being the shortest in our house - Amy is now almost up to my shoulder and still shooting up and Toby isn't far behind.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What gorgeous dolls! And with wardrobes as well. I'm terribly impressed!

    I'd put off purchasing this pattern, as I didn't think I could justify dolls for myself. But I may have to give in now. Then again not sure my sewing skills are as good as yours...

    And the bed with fairy lights is so magical. Just what I dreamed of growing up!

    K x

    ReplyDelete
  18. adorable dollies! Lucky girls a bed with fairy lights twinkerling at night.

    ReplyDelete
  19. So pretty the lights and the dolls and the pretty headboard that you can see. What lucky girls. Best not tell Lady A about the twinkly lights and netting when I redecorate her room!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful dollies. I can see exactly why they are so loved.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the pic of the two dolls and the fairy lights !

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me some feedback! I love reading your comments and I do my best to reply to them. If Blogger gives me your email address, or if I can find one on your blog I'll try to reply by email; otherwise I'll reply in the comments here.