Thursday, 16 October 2008

Tread softly


Twelve years ago, Mr DC and I were married on a gorgeously sunny October day with champagne and feasting. Forward to the present day and now there is coffee in fairy mugs, and a sunny anniversary picnic with this little lot. I couldn't think of a better way to spend last Sunday.



Many thanks to everyone who wished us a happy anniversary. Fancy Elastic tagged me for 7 random things, so I thought I might try to think of 7 random things about our wedding.

1. We were married in Oxford, even though we were living in the US at the time.

2. We had a one night honeymoon at Le Manoir Aux Quat' Saisons as we'd run out of holiday - we'll gloss over the fact that it cost about the same as a week in the Canaries!

3. My wedding dress came across the Atlantic in a box; I clearly remember the agony of waiting for it to come onto the luggage carousel at Heathrow.

4. The hotel had our little wedding as well as a big wedding on the same night, both using the same disco. Unfortunately we ended up with the B-team on the decks until Mr DC's cousins staged a coup...

5. We were determined not to have a formal first dance, but our guests refused to start dancing until we did. On the spur of the moment we chose Ella Fitzgerald singing "Let's Fall In Love", not too bad at all!

6. I had a rotten cold on the day and couldn't taste any of the food.

7. The reading during the ceremony was W.B Yeats' "He wishes for the cloths of heaven". It remains one of my very favourite poems - and I know I'm far from alone.

I'm supposed to tag people, but I never do, and especially not since I've hijacked this one! If you feel like having a go, I'd love to read what you have to say ...

22 comments:

  1. I'm writing some random stuff for my next post!

    That hotel looks lovely, and as for Le Manoir ... well! Mmmmmmmmm.

    The WB Yeats poem is fabulous.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. The "coffee in fairy mugs" says it all, doesn't it? How thoroughly yet sweetly these little people work themselves into every aspect of our lives...Glad you had such a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What lovely random facts about your special day but how wonderful too that you are still both having such special days with your lovely girls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was a lovely post. Happy Anniversay for last Sunday and may you enjoy many more...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I've missed so much, sorry! happy Anniversary to you, Happy Birthday to your daughter and yes, I love eating smores outside in the cold too! Your wedding sounds wonderful, I'd love to visit the Manoir one day. I love the sound of your anniversary picnic too, who needs champagne...
    Kimx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely picnic, perfect weather. And what a romantic wedding you had!
    D x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Anniversary!!!! Wonderful random facts. I have been tagged with that tag and I might copy you if you don't mind.. even though it's not my wedding anniv. I've already done a random tag ...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your anniversary sounds perfect :)

    I love your wedding facts too and am most impressed with your wedding night venue!!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your wedding sounds blissful and it looks like you had the perfect anniversary picnic too! I can't get over how blonde your little girls are! Love the 7 random facts about the wedding - mine seemed to pass in a blur - not sure I could remember that many! Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmmm I used to live near Oxford and I was taken to Le Manoir Aux Quat' Saisons for a first date, I remember being blown away by the cost of one evening meal, so a night in that luxury....lucky you...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy anniversary, your big day sounded wonderful. shame you had a cold. I'll have a go at the random stuff in my next post too. Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy belated Anaversary, loved the 7 random things.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Val, it was so lovely to see you and Tiny Small today, thanks so much for tea and the lovely pressie! Belated happy anniversary wishes (I should have read your blog first so I was up-to-date!) especially since our honeymoon was also a night at Le Manoir - fabulous and unforgettable although I couldn't enjoy the £60 bottle of wine or the delicious looking un-pasturised cheese platter as I was 7 months pregnant with Amy at the time. Mind you, your anniversary sounds pretty unforgettable too - what a lovely way to celebrate with a sunny autumn picnic.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Aniversary. All sounds very romantic

    ReplyDelete
  15. Le Manoir Aux Quat' Saisons ?!?!?!?! Wooooow. Did you have the breakfast? It's supposed to be the best breakfast in the world...ever! Your anniversary picnic sounds perfect- fairy mugs and all :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. A belated happy anniversary. I love the picture of the girls - they look like fairies skipping along!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Anniversary and Happy Birthday to your daughter. What a wonderful Wedding you as well. I love the random facts. Your heart must have been in your mouth until you saw your wedding dress had made the journey with you and wasn't still back in a US airport!!
    Jane. x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy Anniversary, we celebrated our 12th anniversary in September with similar glamour but coffee in fairy mugs is no bad thing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Le Manoir? Blimey. What a perfect way to end your special day and sounds like you found the perfect way to celebrate your 12th anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello Liz - I highly recommend finding someone to take you to Le Manoir, it's incredible!

    Hello Jane from Petticoat Lane -I realised afterwards I should have just put it in a garment bag and taken it as hand luggage!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy Anniversary. It sounds like you had a wonderful wedding day.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me some feedback! I love reading your comments and I do my best to reply to them. If Blogger gives me your email address, or if I can find one on your blog I'll try to reply by email; otherwise I'll reply in the comments here.