Friday, 22 August 2008

Hello there!


Well, August seems to have flown by in a blur, and we have had lots of fun despite the weather - we are British, after all! Lots to tell you from trips to Devon and Hampshire, with long days on the beach and visits to exciting destinations. Oh, and of course the horror show on the allotment after abandoning it for an extended period during peak weed growing, sorry, harvesting time. Assuming they haven't changed the locks to keep me out.



One fab place we visited on an unusually sunny day was the Hollycombe Steam Collection which is a bit run down but brilliant fun (declared "better than Legoland!" by Miss Tall Small - praise indeed.) It's run by grubby faced volunteers who spend hour upon hour maintaining old fairground rides and then operating them for squeaking children. We visited years and years ago when Mr DC and I were mere youngsters and I was on best behaviour for my then-future-in-laws; it's odd to be revisiting now we're the parents! There has been little change since then, apart from a very fancy new entrance building and obligatory (though easily avoided) gift shop.


I am on this whirling machine - points if you can spot me!

I will try to catch up with everyone in the next few days, before we get bogged down in Back To School hell (though the local shops would have you believe we went back to school before the schools even broke up). And now I shall leave you with a smutty picture:


Everything at Hollycombe ends up covered in coal smuts, and that includes the grubby children we were forced to put in the car at the end of the day. EEEEEW!

11 comments:

  1. looks like you had a great time in spite of our great british summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Dottycookies! The wheather has been (ans still is) awful overhere as well! Next week I will be back in the working treadmill. The wheather forecast for next week is: sun!!!

    I enjoyed a lot of time behind the sewing machine, listening to the rain !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back! Great to see that you had such a good time. I hope there aren't too many scary bindweed moments at the allotment. I'm sure there'll be tasty goodness underneath!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy to have you back and so glad you've had a lovely holiday! Don't worry about the allotment. It happens to everyone during the summer! K x

    ReplyDelete
  5. So lovely to have you back - looking forward to hearing about your summer adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey! Great to have you back - have missed you! Sounds like you've had a fab time. The old fairground rides look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good to see your return. I have been waiting to thank you for the beautiful gift bag that you sent me. I just love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi there...sooo glad you're back! But sooo happy you had a grand summer! Thanks for giving us a taste here...Happy weekend ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  9. Was I the only one looking for the smut in the wording then ? *ahem*

    Have been thinking of your recently as we have been making some ( unblogged, as yet ? ) experiments at home. When making stalagnite crystals, the instructions asked for 'salt and water', but how much ? I knew you'd know :p

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's great to have you back!!!! But I think you should be carefully about posting such smutty pictures - people might talk! Lucy x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me some feedback! I love reading your comments and I do my best to reply to them. If Blogger gives me your email address, or if I can find one on your blog I'll try to reply by email; otherwise I'll reply in the comments here.