Wednesday, 23 July 2008

Keeping cool

Hmmm, your enthusiasm for the Barbie sheet is a little disturbing ;-) If it's still there next week I'll snaffle it and we'll see what happens ... no promises though!

Anyway, I finally finished Lucy's mini quilt and I know she's received it so I can put up some pictures both of that one and of the one I sent to Rachel, my official swap partner.

This was Rachel's, with lots of little embroidered creatures, and photographed on a horribly dull day:


And it evolved into this one for Lucy, photographed in the sun. I was happy with Rachel's but I must admit I had trouble sending Lucy's away - it was a very cheerful point in my living room for a while!



My little bees and butterflies seemed very happy whizzing about and I was rather pleased with myself that I managed a good few French knots.


It's been a hot and humid start to the summer, and on days like this the nicest thing I can find to eat is this:

Coffee granita (with apologies to Gordon Ramsay)

This is not meant to have the smooth texture of ice cream or sorbet, so you shouldn't use an ice cream maker.


100g sugar
150ml water
2 cardamom pods
500ml cooled strong coffee - I use an espresso machine but filter would probably work too. I might draw the line at Nescafe though.

Heat sugar and water slowly until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat. Lightly crush cardamom pods and leave to infuse in syrup until cool. Remove pods.

Add cooled coffee to syrup. Chill until cold, then pour into a freezer proof container.

Freeze 2-3 hours, then stir with a fork to break up ice crystals. Return to freezer and repeat the stirring twice more until frozen.

This is where I differ from Gordon, because I usually give up and go to bed before the final stirring, and I also keep it in the freezer for longer than the recommended day or two. You end up with a big block of coffee ice, but you can scrape off a refreshing little cupful with the tines of a fork and eat it quickly before it melts!

31 comments:

  1. That little quilt is going to be just perfect on Lucy's wall. Very, very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh Val, the embroidery on the mini quilt is just gorgeous!
    the coffee granita sounds delicious, problem is it's not actually that warm here, oh well maybe I'll make some anyway....

    ReplyDelete
  3. The mini quilts are beautiful! And so impressed with the French knots. They're my embroidery nemesis. Today should be a good day for coffee granita--fingers crossed! K x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow... those mini quilts are rather gorgeous and I'm very impressed with the embroidery... I wouldn't have the patience for anything so tiny. Looks like another hot day on its way today!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Quilt v.v. beautiful, am completely in awe of your skill. Are you giving lessons yet?!?! Im just asking is all....

    Granita sounds fabulous although we may make it with lemons.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh but I am so glad you managed to post my quilt to me because I LOVE IT!!!! It is such a happy one. I'll have to try out the coffee granita - it looks/sounds delicious. I made your jam tarts last night - very yummy!

    Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thuse are both gorgeous, the embroidery is so delicate :) Rachel and Lucy are both very lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My quilt is fantastic and Lucy's is wonderful too! I can't wait to see the updated wall. Lucky Lucy..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sweetest mini quilts, Dotty! IU love them...so delicate, and the embroidery so fine, you did such a splendid job on these. That coffee garnita is making my mouth water...It's been very warm here too...must get in more ice cream or something for the weekend. Happy Days ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those quilts are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The quilts are equally gorgeous! I love the embroidered details. I could really do with a big cup of that coffee granita right now!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your little quilts are so pretty and accomplished. Yes, that's the word: embroidery like that is gorgeous.

    Blinkin' boiling in my parts today! Hope it's the same where you are.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your swap partners must have been thrilled to receive those they're absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh wow, those quilts are gorgeous! i love doing stitchery but yours puts mine to shame, its so delicate.
    am just about to start some stitching as have been way too hot to start earlier. summer's here at last!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your mini-quilts are gorgeous and your embroidery is perfection!!!

    I would have had trouble sending either of them away.

    That coffee granita looks rather good. I may have to make some for me as no-one else round here drinks coffee (weirdos!!).

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your embroidery is amazing, Val - I'm sure I've said this before! I love it!

    BTW, I received your parcel - thank you so much! (especially the choc, tee hee!)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ooh your quilts - the tiny animals and butterflies are just magic.

    That coffee granita seems like rather a glamorous snack to me, to be eaten in an Italian piazza perhaps. Si, va bene!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What gorgeous embroidery - they're beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just found your blog!
    I`m going to get a cup of coffee, and browse the rest of your posts...
    If the rest are like your last post, I`m in for a treat, for sure!
    Kisses Kisses
    Debbie
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, what embroidery skills! I love both of the quilts so much that I wouldn't be able to choose a favourite :)
    Turning cheap sheets into clothes is an excellent idea- decent and reasonably-priced fabric for clothes is hard to come by. I'm dying to see your Barbie dress!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yummy recipe. I adore the mini quilt. what beautiful fabrics and the stiching is so neat. Perfect for a young lady. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello Debbie - Thank you for your kind words, and welcome!

    Hello Lil D - Thank you! I wish I thought I could repeat it and have them turn out the same way but I'm not sure they would!

    Hello Wonderwoman - If you could have heard me cursing as I stitched you might not have described it as delicate ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hello Julia - Awww, you're very kind. They sent me such lovely quilts I felt I should try to do something special in return!

    ReplyDelete
  24. hey those miniquilts are soooo sweet!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for the lovely granita recipe - sounds the perfect treat on these hot sunny days. I absolutely love your mini quilts - lucky Lucy & Rachel bet they're thrilled to bits!

    ReplyDelete
  26. lovw the embroidery on the mini quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  27. That looks like such a good recipe - I could have done with some of that yesterday it was sooo hot. I love your quilts, the details are beautiful
    Kimx

    ReplyDelete
  28. just found your blog on my travels, your mini quilt is beautiful. Thanks for the recipe for the coffee granita ... :0)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love your little quilts - adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  30. The quilts are gorgeous, such tiny details!! Well done!
    The Coffee granita sounds looovely.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Your quilts are beautiful and the coffee granita sounds delicious. Jane x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me some feedback! I love reading your comments and I do my best to reply to them. If Blogger gives me your email address, or if I can find one on your blog I'll try to reply by email; otherwise I'll reply in the comments here.