Thursday, 12 June 2008

What a difference a day makes

Tracy and Ruth both tagged me recently; I've done a few memes, so I thought I'd cheat a bit and only answer one question - What were you doing 10 years ago?

Well, ten years ago last weekend I was celebrating my thirtieth birthday in a fabulous restaurant (sadly now closed) in upstate New York. Forward to the present, and this weekend we celebrated my birthday in a tent! Yes, we finally got with the program and made it out to the Featherdown Farm in Norfolk.



(Obligatory shot of children sleeping in the cupboard bed)

Friday night and Saturday were wet - so wet that we ran out of clean dry clothes for the tiny mudlarks who came to the tent with us, and even had the "Shall we go home to dry out and come back in the morning?" conversation. But we stayed.


(Breakfast!)

Saturday evening looked like this:


By Sunday morning, a complete transformation:


And all of a sudden we started to realise why people have been raving about this place. Masses of chickens, calves dancing in the field just behind our tent, truly free range pigs - as in not in a field! There were issues, I won't pretend there weren't but I think they were probably specific to this farm rather than the concept as a whole. The farmer, Ben, and his wife, Diane, could not have been more friendly; the smalls went round telling everyone on the farm it was my birthday and in the evening they went off to the farm shop and arrived back with this:


Diane had baked a cake for me and let the smalls come into her kitchen to ice and decorate it. It was delicious and big enough to share with the other campers!

But the best part was seeing my often-shy little girls head off to befriend the other children, splash in the huge quantities of mud and just roam about in the tent field.


Bye then, girls!

30 comments:

  1. Oh you did it!! And what a great way of marking your birthday. Many Happy Returns.

    (Have you caught up with the laundry yet?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday! Looks as though you had an idyllic time once the rain stopped. Makes me want to don wellies, jump in a puddle and make friends with a chicken. That cake looks girly and delicious. Glad you had such a lovely time

    Emma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday! Featherdown is a little more like glamping as I understand and what a fab cake too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday! Glad camping went well despite all the rain ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday!!!!!! It looks like you had a wonderful time despite the weather and the Smalls sound like they had so much fun -how lovely of the farmer's wife to not only bake you a cake but get the girls in to ice and decorate it! Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy belated birthday, fellow Gemini! And what a spectacular cake! Breakfast looked pretty tasty, too.

    Do you have to contend with mosquitoes when you camp?? That's what I remember most from my camp-happy childhood. That and having to do one's business in a bucket...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Belated birthday wishes to you!!
    Well done on sticking it out..looks like a wonderful place to go..and your cake is adorable :)
    I had 2 little shy girls once so can relate to your last comment :) Gx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday - I hope that this is full of wonderful new things and that you discover it really is fun being 40!

    Such sweet photos of happy campers - mud doesn't mean a thing when you are under 10.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Bealted Birthday!!!! Your weekend away looks and sounds perfect. So good to see your littlies heading off on their adventures.
    My two think the freedom to roam and the chance to make new friends are the best things about camping.
    I'm really starting to like the look of the glamping way of doing things!!

    Great cake :)

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy birthday! I'm still trying to talk G into a Featherdown Farms holiday. I'm so glad you had such a nice time once the weather cleared. And that cake looks even better than s'mores! K x

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a lovely way to celebrate your birthday, shame about the mud...
    lovely to see your girls off exploring and making friends too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. HAPPY BIRTHDAY! my turn for the big one soon. The last 10 years seem like 10 minutes!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Birthday! I'm so glad you had a good time, shame about the rain though!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Belated birthday wishes. Those Featherdown farms look really great. You look like your girls had fun. What a lovely lady baking a cake for you and letting the girls decorate.
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Belated Happy Birthday! (you kept that quiet!)It looks as though you had a fantastic time and what a cake!
    Gina x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy (belated) Birthday!! 40, wonderful age!

    ReplyDelete
  17. A belated happy birthday - it looks like a memorable one. When someone asks you in 10 years what you were doing 10 years ago, you'll be able to point them right here!

    Hope the weather's a bit better next time you go. x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy Birthday for last weekend! I wish I'd been to a farm like that when I was small. I have no-one to go with now I'm big!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh Happy Birthday, I'm glad you had such a good time. I had a sneaking suspicion that you'd gone to a Featherdown Farm, I've been wanting to go for ages and ages. It looks great.
    Kimx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy birthday. Pancakes for breakfast can only be a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fabulous! Happy birthday!!
    Looks like a great time was had!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy Happy belated Birthday!! What a wonderful cake...it looks yummy!! So glad you had a wonderful time.

    Smiles...

    Beverly

    ReplyDelete
  23. Many, many happy returns to one of the nicest, kindest bloggers I know!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Happy Belated Birthday! Your camp-out looks so fun -- I LOVE camping out. Nothing better than pancakes cooked over a camp stove. And a birthday cake -- what a wonderful, thoughtful gesture!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Happy birthday. Glad the rain stopped long enought to let you enjoy the farm.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Happy birthday to you! Your cake looks delicious, but I am concerned about the amount of muddy washing that awaited your return home!

    ReplyDelete
  27. So late but heartfelt anyway - Happy Birthday !!! I am wishing someone would set up this form of camping in Australia!! I think I could just about cope with it!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Happy Birthday! I celebrated my birthday away this year, too and it was fun!
    The glamping just looks so good... but I'm not sure my luxury hound of a hubby would go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Happy Birthday, happy 40th...belated! And what a great way to celebrate! Everyone's raving about Featherdown...Wish we weren't so far from England--LOL! Happy Days ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  30. Happy birthday - and what a great way to spend it! Glad you had a lovely time.
    Cathy X

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me some feedback! I love reading your comments and I do my best to reply to them. If Blogger gives me your email address, or if I can find one on your blog I'll try to reply by email; otherwise I'll reply in the comments here.