Wednesday, 16 April 2008

Daffodils - but only just!

Every year one of the villages close to us holds a daffodil festival - a huge village fete that attracts visitors from far and wide. There are coachloads of people who come in for the day, and caravanners who come for the weekend - I've even heard people phoning Chris Evans on a Friday evening to say they are on their way there! It was held a little later this year than usual, so there were fewer daffodils in evidence, but still there were plenty of people to enjoy food, crafts, rides, and Morris dancers both traditional:


and rather more avant garde (!):



This year they also had utterly terrifying miniature off road landrovers - very exciting for five year olds, quite scary for the accompanying adult (ie me) perched on the side of the car with the choice of either steering or holding on - we saw another mum literally fall off as her son navigated over an obstacle! Tall hubby was given a slightly longer car and somehow managed to fold his legs up and wedge himself right in. I didn't.

One of the highlights is always riding on the horse drawn carriages, and eating too much ice cream, though the biggest - and loveliest - surprise of the afternoon was bumping into Gina and Julie walking up the road towards the church.







We'll definitely be there next year - will you?

14 comments:

  1. What a lovely day out! I love the baby Land Rovers!

    What could be better than a family day out combined with a bloggy meet up?!!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son - fearless in every respect - was completely terrified when confronted by Morris Dancers at the age of 15. I think he thought there might be photographic evidence which would undermine his cool image.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shall I admit now to having a secret desire to be a Morris Dancer? They always seem to be having such a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like a brilliant day out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds like a really lovely day out. So glad other people 'have' Morris dancers - we have quite a lot of them round here, and they're always fun to watch. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Kitty - Apparently there are even more in this area than the three troupes we had this weekend. Maybe it's something about the academic environment that makes them do it ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it that places hold these traditional annual events- we have a riverboat festival each year where boats come from all over the country and parade up and down the river after dark with lights on. It's all finished off by a firework display. Great fun!Glad you all enjoyed yourselves x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! I would have loved this as a child - I wouldn't half mind it now:)
    Your gooseberry sponge from your previous post looks wonderful and although I hate those green hairy devils my husband loves them....

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know how Alice C's son felt. We have traditional Welsh folk dancers at these kind of things too but they have the Mari Lloyd, a horses skull on a broomstick held by a man underneath a white sheet operating a wire that makes the jaw move, pretending to bite nearby children. Absolutely guaranteed to have the whole boatload of under tens screaming in terror.
    Your day looks a lot less terrifying, unless you count the mini off-roaders :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That sounds like a fun day out - especially the bloggy-meet-up part way through! I love Morris Dancers - although you don't see many nowadays really. I wish we could come next year too but I think it's a bit far for a daytrip!

    Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Was lovely to see you Val... and a super day out. Think I'm glad I didn't have a little one to take me on the cars!
    Gina xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like a fine day out for everyone!
    c*

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have a vague memory of having to do Morris dancing at dance class many years ago. Oh, it's all coming back now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Liz - Go on, give us a twirl!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me some feedback! I love reading your comments and I do my best to reply to them. If Blogger gives me your email address, or if I can find one on your blog I'll try to reply by email; otherwise I'll reply in the comments here.