Saturday, 8 March 2008

Out of action

Sorry, I've been out of the loop a bit this week. I don't usually write about work, and I'm not going to start that now, but it has been pretty much all consuming this week and by the time I've arrived home I've been unable to do much but eat cereal, veg in front of the gogglebox and go to bed. So, apologies to everyone I have not emailed, and all the blogs I have failed to visit. It should calm down sometime soon, I hope.


So, in the absence of anything newer, here are a couple of pictures of the doll I made for Gina for the Valentine's swap. She's already written about this and revealed the dolly's name. This was very far away from the kind of project I usually undertake, but I very much enjoyed making her. She is based on a pattern from Dandelion Designs, and was designed to use only a fat quarter of fabric for her dress. My little ones have been asking for dolls of their own but I think they might pull the arms off and I'm not sure I'm ready for that kind of response ...


Should get some sewing done this weekend; the girls have gone off with their daddy for a couple of hours so I am going to get off the computer and do something productive. Who am I kidding, I'm really going to scrub the bath.

PS Has anyone seen The Last King of Scotland? Having recently watched Atonement (wonderful film, loved it, but how anyone could recommend it as an"ideal Valentine's gift" I have no idea - did they watch it all the away to the end?!) I was wondering whether to rent the other film for which James McAvoy received good reviews, but I fear it might be too violent ...

PPS Someone from Minnesota (?) called Katherine/Kathleen (?) emailed me - gmail misfiled your message, and just as I was about to read it, it ate it - could you mail me again maybe?

20 comments:

  1. lovely doll!
    hope that you get sometime to yourself soon, and I don't mean bathroom cleaning, unless you get the satisfaction of lying soaking in a gleaming bathroom later. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. what an adorable dolln no wonder you have little girls asking for one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That doll is fantastic - you are a very talented person. I'm not surprised your girls want one - and no doubt want one EACH, not one between them.

    Hope work calms down for you soon. Take care. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your doll is charming and what a beautiful gift it makes.I hope you get out of cleaning the bathroom soon and back to stitching.
    c*

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is a lovely doll... Thank you very much! Also lovely to see you yesterday. What a treat sitting in the garden... and cake!
    Don't know when you wanted to watch Last King of Scotland but we have it and I'd be happy to lend it. To be honest I can't remember too much about it but seem to remember enjoying it.
    G X

    ReplyDelete
  6. I couldn't believe you had been worried about giving your doll to Gina when I saw her on her blog - she is amazing!!! A really good child friendly doll pattern is by Rosalie Quinlan - My Dolly Lollie (she also has a brother and sister) - they are just really robust and good for littlies!

    Can't wait to see you next Friday! Lucy xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Kitty - Thank you for the kind words! and yes, they do want one each - well, at least until they see the bunny I've made for Lucy's Easter swap ...

    Hello cmoon - don't worry, I ended up sewing after all!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The doll is gorgeous!
    I can't wait to watch Atonement.

    Scrubbing the bath is productive!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have been missed I must say.

    But the doll is lovely.

    And I really must see Atonement.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aren't you clever? She's a real beauty - thanks for the link, I love all that red work.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sweetest doll--love her Valentine outfit. Hope you're finding some time to rest, relax and enjoy this weekend ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, the doll is beautiful. I hope work calms down soon- I don't know about you but the more I have to do, the more ideas I have and it's frustrating not to be able to put them into action! Hope you at least had a relaxing weekend x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm almost finished reading Atonement - I wanted to read it before watching the film. It's been quite harrowing, so I'm not sure how the film will be. Like you say, not particularly romantic for Valentine's Day, or Mothers Day (my friend was given it for that!)
    I haven't seen The Last King of Scotland, but have heard that it's very good.
    Your doll is beautiful, no wonder your girls want her!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that dolls dress so much that I want a full size one for myself!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love James McAvoy!!! Haven't seen The Last King of Scotland, I've heard it's quite violent. Loved Atonement, loved the book more perhaps! Your doll is lovely. Hope you're having a better week at work and your managed to sew as well scrub the bath
    Kimx

    ReplyDelete
  16. A very sweet doll with her lovely Valentine attire.
    I hope you have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm the one who sent you the email! I'll email you again, but I just wanted to let you know that here as well. I'm so glad you said something about it. :)

    And the doll is lovely.

    And I should go scrub my bath, too. Ug.

    -Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello Clara - I'm glad you liked the doll - she was good fun to make!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just found your blog through Gina's. Looks like you all had a lovely day out - lucky you :)
    Wanted to say that we watched that DVD yesterday evening. It is a bit horrendous in places, but only because these are things that actually happened. The only thing I found disappointing was the end. Won't give too much away, but I do like all the loose ends to be tied up and would love to know where life took the character played by James McAvoy. I think you will enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me some feedback! I love reading your comments and I do my best to reply to them. If Blogger gives me your email address, or if I can find one on your blog I'll try to reply by email; otherwise I'll reply in the comments here.