Friday, 29 February 2008

Rewarding the workers


I've been in major declutter mode recently - a casual visitor might not notice any difference, but I do. There's still a long way to go but sacks and sacks of stuff have already gone to Oxfam - and so far the children have not noticed the toys I have squirreled away in the loft to see if they actually realise they are gone. Their stash of dolly clothes is next on my hit list ...


After a long morning flinging and cleaning, I needed a reward. So, inspired by Ali I made a coat for my coffee pot to match my tea cosy. So easy, I nearly made mug cosies to match. And in the spirit of "use what you have", some apple and apricot cake with a recipe adapted from Apples for Jam to use up odds and ends in the fruitbowl:

150g granulated sugar
150g soft butter
2 eggs
120g plain flour
1 tsp bicarb
1tsp baking powder
1tsp mixed spice
1tsp vanilla extract
apples - I used about 4 eating apples that were past their best
apricots - a handful of the ready to eat ones

Preheat oven to 180C (350F, gas 4)

Cream butter and sugar.
Mix flour, bicarb, baking powder and mixed spice.
Add eggs to creamed mixture, alternating with spoonfuls of flour. Beat well.

Process apricots and apples to small chunks - stop before you get a puree! You could do this by hand but I am far too lazy. Stir into cake mixture.

Line a loaf tin, or indeed a cake tin. I know Delia would be horrified but I usually just use whatever tin I have to hand. Put mixture in, and bake for about 45 minutes until cooked through (test with a skewer). Cover with foil part way through if necessary.

Can I tempt you?

23 comments:

  1. I love your coffee cosy! Sounds like a great recipe too, have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Put the kettle on - I am on the way! That cake sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cake and coffee sounds very appealing. Do you deliver? Because we could do with some de-cluttering here too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your little dotty coat looks lovely on your coffee pot.I'm trying very hard not to eat cake! but yours sounds very tempting.
    c*

    ReplyDelete
  5. You just can't beat a good declutter. Don't tell Moogsdad I said so as he's dying for me to start having a clear out!!

    I love your very chic coffee pot cosy. With something that beautiful it was vital that you make cak eto go with it!

    Great recipe - thanks for sharing :)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're not meant to blog yummy recipes to go with delicious coffee in a gorgeous coffee-cosy WHEN I AM ON A DIET!!!!!!!

    Got that???

    Me xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds like a recipe I might love to try. I am assuming you used dried apricots?

    I love Tessa Kiros. In fact I am off to the bookshop to pick up her latest book on this sunny Saturday morning.

    If you and Alice C could just hang on I'll be there as soon as I can.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It must be the time for decluttering ! I am decluttering and its quite liberating. Its better if I am cross about something as i fly through it!!. I love accumulating things but when it all doesnt fit.
    I love your coffee pot coat , its very prettyx Dominique

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh yes you can. Yummy. Love the polka dots.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That coffee cosy is gorgeous! And the cake sounds pretty darned fabulous too.

    I need decluttering - are you interested in doing it professionally?

    x

    ReplyDelete
  11. congrats on the decluttering!
    the trick of hiding the toys to see if their missed is a good one!
    love the coffee cosy, and the mug cosy is an inspired idea, it's always after I've poured it that my tea/coffee goes cold!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That cake sounds delicious, I've not noticed the recipe in my book before! Love the coffee cosy, very pretty
    Kimx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello cmoon - It is quite a naughty cake, it's true. For a slightly more virtuous one, you should check out the teabread Lesley (Moogsmum) posted a while back - no butter in that one, and even more absolutely scrumptious if you use some dried apricots in it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gosh, you have been busy. And very productive. I hope you took time out to enjoy the fruits of your labours!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I absolutely LOVE that cosy! Pink and brown is one of my favourite colour combinations. I'm very tempted to have a go at that cake, too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. oooh yes please - sounds scrummy! Your coffee cosy is gorgeous - love those colours together. Hope you're having a lovely Mother's Day x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Don't tell me that was the cake I missed... mmmmm! Very tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your coffee cosy is so lovely. That cake sounds gorgeous! I have 'apples for Jam' but have yet to make anything from it!
    I always hid the kids toys away to see if they missed them before getting rid of them for good. They hardly ever did!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Declutter and tea? Could I please do the same? For the first I will need a box of hefty bags and a quick trip to the Goodwill before school gets out--and the second, a spicy Chai tea with something rich and chocolate!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a productive morning and a lovely coffee cosy. I am working up to braving my son's bedroom for a spot of secret stashing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello love-those-cupckaes - I certainly did eat plenty of cake (and though it shames me to admit it, I can easily drink an entire cafetiere myself).

    ReplyDelete
  22. My stomach is growling reading that recipe! And I think I need to try making a cozy for my pint mug.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me some feedback! I love reading your comments and I do my best to reply to them. If Blogger gives me your email address, or if I can find one on your blog I'll try to reply by email; otherwise I'll reply in the comments here.