Thursday, 7 February 2008

All hail Alexander Fleming

First of all, apologies for not responding to email or being round to visit everyone much this week. I will catch up, I promise.

I've been sick - it turns out I had tonsillitis (which is every bit as foul as I remember from childhood) but by the time I realised I was getting worse, and went to see the doctor, I was feeling really rough. He assured me it was probably viral, but he took a throat swab "just in case", and off I went, back to bed and feeling maybe I was making a big old fuss about nothing. Ha. Sure enough, it wasn't viral; I'm now on antibiotics and feel a lot better today. I worked for four years in a building looking out on the Dunn School of Pathology in Oxford and knew that it had played a critical role in turning Fleming's discovery of penicillin into a marketable commodity, but to be honest never really gave it much thought. Right now, I am very grateful for the work those people did so many years ago. (OK, so I'm not on penicillin itself as I'm allergic to it, but the principle's the same).

So, not a lot happening on the creative front this week, but I did manage at last to have a go at felt making with some rovings I bought a year ago (ahem). I used the straightforward instructions given in Complete Feltmaking by Gillian Harris. It was very therapeutic; I have some ideas for the various bits I made, but to start with just went with the obvious beaded flowers.


(Pssst Ali - this is why I needed the sushi mat ...)

19 comments:

  1. Very glad you are on the mend.

    The colours of the felt are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh feel better soon!!!
    it amazes me how the discovery of penicillin has changed the world of medicine, I'm so glad your doctor didn't prescribe leeches, and blood letting..


    the felt is lovely!!!!! show us more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do hope that you'll feel better soon. Love the felt flowers, now I know what a suchi mat is for!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have my sympathy - I had tonsillitus a couple of years ago and it was the most ill I've ever felt. Good old Alexander, then!
    I very much enjoyed the stabbing that went with my attempt at felt-making! Maybe I shouldn't really admit that...
    Your flowers are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah ha! I should have guessed. And thank goodness for good drugs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh you poor thing - tonsilitis is the pits!! Glad to hear you are on the mend.

    Your felt is beautiful. I love the colours in the blue piece and the flowers are fab. Have you discovered a new addiction?

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad to hear that it wasn't viral after all and you could have some proper medicine to donk it! Hope you are feeling much better now - sometimes I'm amazed at how quickly antibiotics can work.

    Love your felting.

    lucy x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tonsillitus is very painful. Poor you! I hope you will soon feel a whole lot better. Penicillin is one of the best discoveries from last century I guess. What would we do if it wasn’t available to us?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope so much you are feeling better soon! I've never had tonsillitus, thankfully. Your feling is terrific--love the flowers. I've been playing with felt lately too--may fingertips are all like raisins--LOL! Happy weekend ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely lovely flowers! Hope you feel better soon-tonsillitus is yucky x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful felt flowers Val. Pleased you are on the mend.
    Gina xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh - Get Well Soon! I love that you shared that little tie-in about penicillin.

    And do tell more about using the felt. I finally found a local supplier of roving and felt and now I can't think of what I want to buy it FOR. Your flowers are quite pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry to hear that you have been unwell and hope that you are well on the road to a speedy recovery. Love the felt flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh! I am so sorry to hear that you have been poorly. Tonsillitis can really leave you incapacitated. Get well soon.

    I saw a very nice felted handbag somewhere - maybe you could start with one for dolls?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Tonsillitis ... :-O ... yuk! Hope you feel much better soon.

    That felt is wonderful! I've bookmarked the Amazon page - thank you. There is nothing 'obvious' about your felt flowers - they're so pretty! x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello Kitty - thank you for your good wishes! The reason I said the flowers are obvious is that a version of them is the first project in the book ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Three cheers for Alexander Fleming!
    Hip hip...hooray! hip hip...hooray! hip hip...hooray!
    Glad to hear you're feeling better. Tonsilitis is nasty but your felting is fabtastic :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Val
    Hope you're feeling much better, tonsilitis can be very nasty. Love the felt flower brooches and mat, felt making is so relaxing isn't it. Hope you enjoy a good half term and the antibiotics do the trick
    Kimx

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm so glad your better. Life before the invention of antibiotics must have been an awful. Thank goodness they were invented !

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me some feedback! I love reading your comments and I do my best to reply to them. If Blogger gives me your email address, or if I can find one on your blog I'll try to reply by email; otherwise I'll reply in the comments here.