Saturday, 1 December 2007

OK, who stole November?

It is not possible. How can it be December already? If I think logically, a lot has happened this month but I honestly thought I had longer left to finish the Advent calendar:


It may not be as original or creative as some of the gorgeous ones others have been making - it comes from one of those preprinted panels - but I like it and it does the important job which is giving the Christmas Elf somewhere to put all his ornaments. Every year we dig out a little wooden tree (a bit like this one, only ours is green) and each day during December the elf hides a tiny ornament somewhere in the house. Only, sometimes he forgets and has to leave 2 or 3 days at once. I'm hoping this calendar, placed prominently, will REMIND HIM!!! Which reminds me, better get it out of the loft ...

I've been making all sorts of things but most of them are half done. One very quick project was these little books that have been appearing all over the place recently (apologies - it's early and the sun was not up when I took this picture):


They're just scrapbook paper covers with plain paper inside and handstitched - I tried machining but ended up with perforated pages which has its own charm but wasn't quite what I was going for! I don't scrapbook, but I have silly amounts of paper stashed away and this made me feel a bit less guilty about it. The plan is for the girls to fill in one book each for each grandparent for Christmas - there are only 6 pages and they chose the covers so hopefully it won't be a case of me chopping up random scribblings to stick in on Christmas Eve ...
I thought this was an original idea until I realised Amy Karol is doing the same thing. So, I'm in good company then!

17 comments:

  1. November has a habit of disappearing! I love your advent calendar and well done for getting it finished in time!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. An advent calender, that’s so much fun. I remember ours at home when I was little, the little doors and the pictures behind them. I would love to make one... next year! The books are such a wonderful idea. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your advent calendar! I have never had one, in Belgium this is not such a tradition, but I really like the idea! And I love those little books, mmm, must try that too someday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The advent calendar looks great and I love your little books. Even though we did one for Daddy's birthday it hadn't occured to me to do them for Grandparents' Christmas presents - what a fantastic idea! I'm afraid I'm going to pinch it too!!! Lucy xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm afraid we have a big felt advent calendar which was bought, not made (how shameful is that for someone who enjoys crafting?) Yours is lovely. And I love those books - I might try something similar with the kids in the school holidays.

    :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I managed to make some paper stars! Finally haha. I think I was using the wrong sort of paper.

    They go very well with my christmas theme this year. I'm going to use your pot pourri idea.

    I don't do advent calendars but yours looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pre-printed pattern or not that's one impressive advent calendar! The books are such a lovely idea, too - just the thing grandparents LOVE. I remember buying a blank calendar from Paper Mill and drawing a snail for every month of the year(don't ask!) for my grandparents and 6 years later they still bring it out to show poor unsuspecting guests.

    ReplyDelete
  8. love the advent calendar, I bought one of those printed panels and it's untouched, I think I thought an advent fairy would magically make it up...
    those books are great too, they'd make great party bag presents.

    ReplyDelete
  9. linaloo.typepad.com2 December 2007 at 00:43

    Cute calendar Val, maybe I should have bought one of those instead of trying to make my own in 2 days. (still not finished)!!!! Love the elf idea.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm wondering where the year went never mind November! The little books are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the little books, perfect small presents! Fabulous advent calendar.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't believe it's now December, either! Your calendar is wonderful! DH & I usually do a calendar...but sadly I didn't get it ready in time *SIGH* Great little books too--so pretty! Happy days making ready for Christmas! ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful Advent calendar - congratulations! That will be something to keep in the Christmas box and enjoy every year.
    And the little books are such a good idea - lucky grandparents.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Our advent calendar is a wooden one - you open little doors and a tiny wooden something or other is there to be hung up - I bought it in the Christmas sales! We only had it for the first time last year but kids are amazing - they remembered and so out it came again - a day late!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your advent calendar and those books look like a great idea! Are they difficult to make? Fantastic pressie or stocking filler idea.
    Kimx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the notebooks - the paper is gorgeous. I may have to add that to my ever growing list of things to try. Now I can knit I'm not sure I'll have time for anything else!!
    Cathy XX

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's so spooky! I posted my first post since Nov 1st this week lamenting on where November went and then I saw your post - honestly I wasn't copying!! I think we take a breather in November because we know how crazy December is going to be!! So glad to be back and so good to catch up on your blog x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me some feedback! I love reading your comments and I do my best to reply to them. If Blogger gives me your email address, or if I can find one on your blog I'll try to reply by email; otherwise I'll reply in the comments here.