Sunday, 18 November 2007

Christmas pudding patch


Inspired by Julie's Christmas puddings and her fairy cake patch, I fiddled about with some wool this week and ... tada! Here is my very first knitting pattern!

For the pudding:

Cast on 8 stitches in brown (B)
Row 1: purl
Row 2: Inc 1*, knit to last stitch, inc 1
Row 3: purl

Rows 4-9: Repeat rows 2 and 3 until you have 16 stitches

Row 10: Join in white(W) - (K2W, K3B) 3 times, K1W
Row 11: P2W, P1B, (P4W, P1B) twice, P3w
Continue in W only.
Row 12:K2tog through back, K to last 2 sts, K2tog
Row 13: purl
Row 14: K2tog through back, K to last 2 sts, K2tog
Row 15: purl
Row 16: K2tog through back, K to last 2 sts, K2tog
Row 17: purl
Row 18: K2tog through back, K to last 2 sts, K2tog (8 sts)
Row 19: P2tog through back, P4, P2tog
Row 20: K2tog through back, k2, k2tog (4sts)
Break wool and thread through remaining stitches

* Inc 1 - increase by knitting into front and back loops of next stitch.

For the leaves (make 2):

Cast on 2 sts in green.
Garter stitch 4 rows.
Slip one, pass slipped stitch over, break thread and pass through the last stitch to finish.

To make up:

Weave in ends, shaping the pudding as necessary. Attach the leaves and add berries using French knots in red (or beads, or knitted bobbles). Stitch a few beads for added sparkle.

Do not eat it!!

(If you do knit this and find any problems, please let me know. I've never written a pattern before ...)

28 comments:

  1. Wow! That is so sweet...I am going to have a bash!
    Take care,
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is amazing, you are so clever!
    I'm going to print it right now and try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks lovely! Much nicer than the real thing!!! Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clever you - too too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how I wish I could knit! I am going to get my mum to teach me (again) soon. Well done you for the pattern - it looks fab.
    Cathy XX

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pretty - I am no knitter but I can admire this pattern - and its outcome !

    Thank you for calling by my blog too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on publishing your first knitting pattern!! I am seriously impressed - that is such a cute pudding :)
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm definitely having a go before I throw the needles away and I'll let you know how I get on. I'm not promising any photos, though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. YEY! That's a fab pattern- thanks so much for letting us in on the secret ;)
    I'm cursing myself for blog reading at(almost)midnight as I'm now going to spend the whole day tomorrow thinking of woolly puddings. Will certainly have a go ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  10. brilliant pud - perfectly plump and delicious looking. Will be giving it a go shortly. Well done for writing your first pattern - hope there are more to come.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is seriously cute and I can't knit. Bugger. Well done clever you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello - I have just found your site and LOVE the little Christmas pudding!

    ReplyDelete
  13. that is so cute, now if only I could knit :(

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is adorable...so sweet! I think I'll have to give this a try too. :O) Happy Days ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  15. You clever girl I'm inspired to have a go.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hope you don't mind but I posted about your little puddings - they are so cute. Let me know if you do mind and I'll delete it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think this is stunning...hopefully I will find a little time this evening to have ago.
    Thank you for sharing it
    Suzie Sews

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's lovely! Of course I don't understand what the instructions mean- maybe one day ...
    Kimx

    ReplyDelete
  19. that is SO cute! i do wish i were more yarn-inclined! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. eekkkk
    i have 100 things to do but i am not going to do any of them -
    i am going to knit puds to go on all my family's christmas gifts
    thank you for sharing x
    tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  21. I was just going to bed and saw the pudding. Now I'm going to make a pudding, be late for bed, grumpy tomorrow, but hey, who cares? It's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Aaack! How cute is that???? Thanks so much for the pattern -- it's adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  23. beautiful work Dotty! I love it... You are very clever - yummy looking - I will try it. Thank you, Jan H (MA)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love the look of this pattern...thank you so much for the pattern.
    I have a quick question though...on the leaves...after you knit in garter for 4 rows, then the next thing says Slip 1, pass slipped stitch over...if you only slip 1 st, there is nothing to pass that stitch over...is it suppose to say Slip 1, K1, pass slipped stitch over? Thank you so much. ~Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  25. Cougar1 - Oh yes, I think you're right! Sorry about that!

    ReplyDelete