Tuesday, 25 September 2007

Baring my blogging soul

I was tagged for this by Candlestring and thought answering the questions looked like fun; but then I've read lots of other people's entries and I'm not sure I can add anything terribly witty or original. Oh well, here goes:

1. Do you promote your blog?

Well, no - how would I go about doing that then? I do comment all over the place though -does that count? It took me a long while to pluck up courage to make any comments anywhere and I don't remember saying "come and look at my blog" except on a couple of flickr photos for Skirt Month.

2. How often do you check hits?

I had no idea how to do this until yesterday when I read about Google Analytics on someone else's answers to this meme. So I have checked hits a total of once. And to be honest I didn't really like doing it - I think I might deregister to remove the temptation.

3. Do you stick to one topic?

It isn't really a wide range of subjects now I come to think of it - stuff I make, stuff I cook and silly things my children get up to. I do this to relax in the evening so I'm not likely to start writing about work, and I'm not going anywhere near controversial subjects - yes, I'm a coward!

4. Who knows that you have a blog?

In real life, my family and a few close friends. And that's just fine.

5. How many blogs do you read?

I thought it was a lot until I saw the numbers some others look at, and then I felt terribly inadequate (Ali are you out there?). I have only just discovered bloglines - yes, I am ridiculously slow on the uptake - and am finding it fabulous, if addictive. There are 70 blogs in my list. The first one I ever read regularly was dooce, who still makes me laugh; and the first craft blog whose archives I read was Echoes of a Dream - hi Simmy!

6. Are you a fast reader?

Yes. My job involves silly numbers of emails each day and if I didn't read & process (& type!) rapidly I'd be sunk.

7. Do you customise your blog or do anything technical?

Given my comments about hit counters and bloglines, I think you know answer to that.

8. Do you blog anonymously?

Semi. I use my own first name, but pseudonyms or initials for the rest of my family - this isn't their blog and they're too little to decide for themselves if they want to be identified. I don't put up pictures of their faces for the same reason - though anyone who knows them would probably recognise them.

9. To what extent do you censor yourself?

A fair amount. I do reread everything I write, but I don't always proofread carefully enough. I have no desire to upset or provoke anyone, and think the sarcasm I would happily use in everyday life doesn't always come across well in text, so I think it's safer to avoid it if I can. Sometimes I just can't help myself though ...

10. The best thing about blogging?

Well that's easy - the other people doing it, obviously! I've had lots of kind, funny emails that always cheer up my day, and I would miss that contact enormously if I stopped doing this.

That's that then. It was harder than I expected. I have cute photos to post tomorrow though!

PS I forgot, I'm supposed to tag people. Well, if you're reading this and you want to play, then you're tagged!

4 comments:

  1. Of COURSE I'm here - you're one of my three million six hundred and fory seven bloglines subscriptions aren't you?

    I love your first answer. I wondered the exact same thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to read your list! This has been fun, this meme that's going round at the moment. I may post on this tonight or tomorrow...Happy Day ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is a blogline?? I keep hearing about them and haven't a clue what they are - oh god, I'm sooo old and behind the blogging times!

    Great list by the way!

    Julia x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked reading about your blogging. it's fun to see everyone's take on it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me some feedback! I love reading your comments and I do my best to reply to them. If Blogger gives me your email address, or if I can find one on your blog I'll try to reply by email; otherwise I'll reply in the comments here.