Thursday, 23 August 2007

Quick cake stand


I love baking and have been coveting cake stands for months now, but I simply couldn't justify spending lots of cash on something I really wouldn't use very frequently. I saw an idea on Betz White's blog a while back about making a cake stand from glass plates and since then I've been scouring my favourite local charity shops for suitable components. I knew the citizens of Saffron Walden wouldn't let me down and eventually I found a plate and a candle holder and got to work with some ridiculously sticky glue:


It took a long, long time to dry (and of course wasn't ready in time for me to use it at a tea party on Sunday) but it turned out well:


The glue join is a bit visible, but when it has a cake on it you'd never know.


That's a redcurrant meringue pie - which is both sweet and tart and a very great summer (ha! that's a joke) treat.

£1.50 vs lots of money - I'm happy!

6 comments:

  1. Me happy too just to see your fine creation--of cake stand and cake! What a great idea putting to glassware piece together to make something--I like reuse and ecomony of that. Your cake looks sooo good...I'm hungry now! Hope you all have a great weekend! ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice - the pie and the stand!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea - I'm going to have to go scouring! The cake sounds yummy - do you have a recipe?
    Kim x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely! And that cake looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A fantastic idea Val and so pretty!
    Take care,
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Val~ Your blog is lovely. I think I have the components for a cake stand in my cupboard! Will have to go looking...
    I have BigBucketGirl for my Friday Prize swapper (swapee?), so I guess it isn't a back-and-forth thing, but a real name-out-of-a-hat thing. Very exciting for me as it is my first EVER swap :) Can't wait! I feel like I'm getting an extra birthday.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me some feedback! I love reading your comments and I do my best to reply to them. If Blogger gives me your email address, or if I can find one on your blog I'll try to reply by email; otherwise I'll reply in the comments here.