Tuesday, 10 July 2007

Other people's gardens

Once every year some of the big-name colleges in Cambridge open their gardens to the public for the NGS. Usually they are only open to the college fellows and the rest of us plebs can gaze enviously through the gates and wish we could go in and explore. You read about these gardens and how beautiful they are so when we realised Kings and Clare Colleges were opening theirs last Sunday we decided we had to go along since the weather was absolutely glorious. As usual we had underestimated how long it would take us to get from the house into town, and by the time we arrived we only had time to visit one, so we went for Clare (sorry, I forgot the camera, so here's a link to someone else's photos).

And I hate to say it, but I was disappointed. Yes, the planting was beautiful, and everything was immaculately maintained but somehow it lacked the passion and sense of love you get from visiting people's real gardens. Later that afternoon we went to a friend's allotment - we are sharing some of the weeding and a chunk of the space - and watching the children making mudpies and squishing their feet in wet earth, watering, digging, planting tatty little seedlings and just pootling about, it made me realise that to me all gardening needs to be is fun, otherwise what's the point?

4 comments:

  1. Think you're absolutely right, gardening needs to be fun and gardens have to have some sense of being part of something. I hate gardens that are too manicured and sterile! Hope you're enjoying your weekend.
    Kim x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yes, gardening, and gardens themselves, need a sense of fun, delight, whimsy even...But I supposed there are dull gardens out there. Though it is surprising such a place should have such a liefless garden. Hope you are having a great weekend in your own garden! Hugs :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gardens should be fun:-)
    Thanks for visiting my blog. I will link to you if that is OK.
    Take care,
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello - I came to your blog from Snapdragon's Garden. I'm afraid that I can't allow you to say anything bad about Clare College - because that is my old college and I was married in the chapel and all my wedding photos are in the garden. So you see - I do have loyalty issues! My favourite bit is the the area by the pond which feels like a secret garden. I suppose that there are different sorts of gardens for different places. I have a problem with Zen gardens but I suppose some people find them fun..

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me some feedback! I love reading your comments and I do my best to reply to them. If Blogger gives me your email address, or if I can find one on your blog I'll try to reply by email; otherwise I'll reply in the comments here.