Thursday, 26 July 2007

Knitted cupcakes

A couple of Elsie's little friends turned 5 recently and so we were in need of special presents to give. I've had my eye on Julie's knitted cupcakes pattern for a while now, and of course I had the delicious cupcake fabric Caroline kindly sent me so I put the two together into a modified and miniaturised Lotta Jansdotter backpack:


These are lined and have an internal pocket in chocolatey cupcake material (I didn't manage to get a picture of that).


I like her ideas but I have to say she does make things far more complicated than they need to be. Maybe I should say these are inspired by hers because by the time I had changed the instructions, changed the dimensions, lined it and pocketed it about the only original feature left was the attachment of the straps. And I'm planning to change that next time too!

I can see more of these in my future - both my two are asking for them and I have two more lined up as gifts for next week ...

8 comments:

  1. That is so cute. They will make fantastic presents!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aiiieee - that looks fab! I wanted to put a lining in the ones I made to make them a bit more durable, but I couldn't figure out how to do it.

    If you ask me, Lotta's not a real sewer! Her ideas are great, but her execution seems odd, even to a relative beginner like moi!

    Having said that, they have been holding up to boy use well, even without a lining, so maybe I shouldn't complain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The bags look gorgeous, every little girl should have one!

    Vanessa x

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is marvelous--just love it! What fantastic work! And it's always great to be inspired, but super when you come up with something all your own, isn't it?! What lucky girls to get your cupcake bags...Will you be making any in a "grown up" size? ;o) Wishing you & yours a great weekend! ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely, lovely, lovely, I’m off to Julie’s for the cupcake. Yummy. So Lotta’s Simple Sewing is not that simple? I just ordered the book, so I will keep that in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for your sweet comment and visit to my blog... This bag is just lovely. I think big girls would love it too!

    Beverly

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the backpack. I must make one for the Princess soon, but I'll bear your remarks in mind. Still, I'd be delighted to get one as a present if I were a little girl, so I think you do really well making presents

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look adorable - I'm so proud to see my little cupcake pattern used in such a creative and lovely way - beautifully done and thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me some feedback! I love reading your comments and I do my best to reply to them. If Blogger gives me your email address, or if I can find one on your blog I'll try to reply by email; otherwise I'll reply in the comments here.