Thursday, 19 July 2007

An excess of berries


The shelves in the local supermarket are finally groaning under the weight of British soft fruit (but still beans from Kenya and Gambia, hmmmm) and we are scarfing down punnet after punnet. Most of the time I'm happy to have nothing but greek yogurt or maybe a meringue or two with them, but sometimes I feel the need to go a bit posh, and then this is my favourite thing to make. It's based on a recipe from Gordon Ramsay out of Just Desserts ie before the media overexposure. He might be a bit too sweary, and he really ought to keep his shirt on, but the man is a culinary genius. This looks very impressive but is extremely easy to make;
I can't stand summer pudding made with bread, but I love this one.

Summer pudding - for 2-3 greedy people

1/2 brioche loaf (obviously big G uses home made. Equally obviously, I don't)
About 150g blackcurrants and/or redcurrants (hi Tracy!)
About 200g mixed soft fruit - strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries
6 Tbsp caster sugar
1 sprig mint

Top and tail the black/redcurrants. Simmer with the 6Tbsp caster sugar, the mint and 6Tbsp water until the currants are soft. Pass through a sieve and set aside.


Slice the brioche about 1cm thick. Stamp out 3 circles of brioche per person; I use a cutter of about 8 cm diameter.


Prepare the fruit for the filling by slicing the strawberries or halving the blackberries and raspberries.


Now for the fun bit. Put down a piece of baking parchment/greaseproof paper and put the cutter on top. Soak one brioche round in the blackcurrant coulis and place it inside the cutter.


Top with a layer of strawberries. Add another layer of dipped brioche, then a mixture of blackberries and blueberries. Finish with a third round of dipped brioche.


Press down lightly to firm, then put a fish slice underneath and slide the stack onto a plate. Carefully slide off the ring. Top with extra coulis/raspberries/caster sugar/cream/all of the above.


Scoff the lot. It's full of fruit, so clearly it is health food ;-)

I plan to try this with other soft fruits - I have some peac hes and plums downstairs so I may even give it a go tonight. I'll let you know ...

6 comments:

  1. Hi Val,
    That looks totally delicous!!!
    You were in the first three to comment on my 'pay it forward Swap'
    Can you please email me with your postal address and I will post your package out to you:-)
    (My email address is on my profile page)
    Take care,
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Summer Pudding looks delicious! Thanks so much for the sweet comments on my blog; you have a very nice place here I will surely be back for a visit!

    Smiles...

    Beverly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy! Thanks for the recipie it looks delicious. I was thinking of taking Amy to a pick your own farm next week - now we're definitely going and I know what to do with the mountain of berries we'll bring back! Your teachers pressies are fab - I'm feeling guilty as I took the easy option for flowers this time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look so delicious! Might have to try it out for myself - thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks flippin' delicious and after the success with the dotty cookies (which we must have made about 200 of up to now!) I will be rushing out to buy brioche and berries!

    I made a book bag for my son's teacher too, I thought she might appreciate something other than "Roses" or a bottle of bubble bath, although looking at my sewing I'm not sure!

    Julia x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me some feedback! I love reading your comments and I do my best to reply to them. If Blogger gives me your email address, or if I can find one on your blog I'll try to reply by email; otherwise I'll reply in the comments here.