Wednesday, 18 July 2007

Apples for the teachers

It's hard to believe Elsie has nearly finished her first year at school. It has flown by, and she has grown and changed so much; photos of her from this time last year show a very little girl in a too-big uniform who could just about write her name, and now she is reading and swimming and drawing and spelling ... She has had two really wonderful teachers and two teaching assistants and I wanted to give them something to say thank you for all the hard work they've put in. I decided that book bags would be something I'd like to make that they might find useful. I dug through my stash and bought a few extra bits and pieces and based these on the tote bag from Lotta Jansdotter's book.



I added lining and an inside pocket, and made some personalised keyrings that I attached with a little button loop.



For the TAs I made pencil rolls from the same book; I had some little pencil shaped buttons that I couldn't resist using even though they'd have been better in lilac.

It is inspirational to sit in the room and watch these women work with the children, and they have taught me masses, let alone the children! I really hope they like these ...

5 comments:

  1. How fast do little girls grow up! I’m sure the teachers will like their gifts! It’s made with so much love and it looks wonderful. And the blue pencil-button is very OK.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant! What fantastic gifts for your daughter's teachers and assistants.

    I find it too hard to believe that my son is finishing Year 3 already - it seems only yesterday I was taking photos of his first day in Reception.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YOur gifts are splendid--those teahers & TA'S are lucky recipients! Beautiful fabrics you've chosen. Oh, first year already...time does fly. Pity we don't have a pause botton on life to use, just a little, and just occasionally, to savour it all a little more. Happy Days!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a recipient of one of the bookbags I can say how lovely it truly is! It will come in very useful for the frequent trips to the library with my son. As a teacher it is always very humbling when you recieve gifts from parents and children to say thank you. You are after all doing the job that you are paid for. I am lucky and work in a wonderful school with great children and parents. Every day is exciting, challenging and rewarding. Presents such as the bookbag mean a great deal. That someone has spent a lot of time and thought into saying thank you. I would like to say a big thank you for my thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am one of the lucky recipients of the pencil rolls. I was very touched to have received a gift that was made with so much thought and care.
    Working in a school is such a pleasure, I would not change it for the world.
    Thank you so much.
    P.S. I love the pencil button.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me some feedback! I love reading your comments and I do my best to reply to them. If Blogger gives me your email address, or if I can find one on your blog I'll try to reply by email; otherwise I'll reply in the comments here.