Wednesday, 6 June 2007

Hidden treasures


I really love living in a rural village, especially discovering something you didn't know was there. I remember coming across the library bus when I was on maternity leave - before that I was never around during the day so why would I know about the wonderful travelling book treasure? We are now regular visitors and Elsie even has her own library card so she can borrow as many Rainbow Fairy books as she likes (I nearly bought her a set today from the Book People who are visiting campus - how mad would that have been?!)

The village is criss-crossed with little footpaths allowing you to get from one end to the other (all of half a mile) without having to walk on the main road. My most recent find has been set up outside a house down one of these paths - a small table that is crammed with plants for sale and is restocked every day. The money goes to the village school, and I find it very hard to walk past with money in my pocket - fortunately the most expensive pot I've found there was £1 for a large pink dahlia and they have a great range of plants for 50p each. In the last couple of days I have bought:

2 pelargoniums (Elsie's choice)
1 rosa rubrifolia
2 lavenders
2 dahlias
1 clematis "Sunstar"
1 morning glory
1 Corsican mint

Total cost? £5.50. My resolution this year was not to buy any plants from garden centres if I could grow them myself or buy them from plant stalls at open gardens and so on. So far I'm doing OK with this - I bought a few alpines for the girls' fairy gardens and 2 tomato plants but that's it. And you know what? With seedlings (self sown and planted) and cuttings I have more plants to cram in this year than ever before. I'll even have a few to give to the plant stall at the summer fayre.

2 comments:

  1. That's such a great resolution. Plants grown close to home always seem to thrive better for me too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! In turn I had to come by and see you...and I'm so glad I did. You have a wonderful blog here! Love you musing on life & all sorts, and not least seeing the beautiful places you've been too, etc. and the lovely things you're making. I must come back soon and read your archives...I know your feeling about getting too many plants. I do that every year--silly. Trying to be content with fewer this year, but with digging a new flower bed soon I'll be flatering at the garden center again soon--LOL! Happy Weekend to you & yours! :o)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me some feedback! I love reading your comments and I do my best to reply to them. If Blogger gives me your email address, or if I can find one on your blog I'll try to reply by email; otherwise I'll reply in the comments here.