Saturday, 16 June 2007

Dottycookies

Last week Tracy asked me why I call myself Dottycookie when my name is neither Dotty nor Cookie (odd, that!)

These are Dottycookies:


They are basic shortbread biscuits nicked from Nigella, with Smarties stuck into the top. They are based on a biscuit we have when we go for tea at a local farmshop, which is a favourite of my two little ones.

I've been busy baking this afternoon for the fete tomorrow. I made a double batch of these cookies, 2 dozen scones, a cherry madeira cake and four loaves of bread. Oh, and roasted a shoulder of pork for dinner, and made a cherry trifle ready for Father's Day. Elsie was off at a party and Millie helped me stone the cherries and knead the bread.

Anyway, here's the cookie recipe:

100g soft unsalted butter
50g icing sugar
100g plain flour
50g cornflour

Cream butter and sugar, then mix in flour and a pinch of salt. You can do this in a food processor. Remove and knead to form a soft dough. Form into a cylinder and wrap in cling film, then put in the fridge.

Preheat oven to 160C.

When dough feel firm, slice into biscuits. Press Smarties into the top - the dough may crack but push it back together, and the cracks heal as they cook.

Bake 20-30 minutes until slightly browning on the edges - they're still soft but they crisp up as they cool.

2 comments:

  1. HI, DottyCookie--LOL! All your baking sounds scrummy! Thank you for sharing your recipes...I love dotty cookies! Happy Eating! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found you via domesticali, love your blog.

    I've paid a fortune for cookies like these from posh coffee shops, so now I can recreate them at home and sneak them in in my handbag!

    I'll be back soon

    Julia

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me some feedback! I love reading your comments and I do my best to reply to them. If Blogger gives me your email address, or if I can find one on your blog I'll try to reply by email; otherwise I'll reply in the comments here.