Tuesday, 15 May 2007

Rain, rain, go away

Yes, I know it had been dry for too long. Yes I know the gardens and fields need the water but please, can it just stop now for a little while? It's been raining on and off for a week and everything round us is lovely and green again. We did see 5 minutes of sunshine this morning but then back to grey and drizzly again and poor Elsie in her winter uniform - which she is, of course growing out of. I refuse to buy more winter skirts in May!


What can you do when it is raining? Make paper boats and sail them in the sand pit, of course. Those didn't survive long being poked with sticks, so we cut the ends off some water bottles and turned those into coracles. And then when it got too wet to sail them outside, in came the boats to sail in an old washing up bowl.

(By the way, that's the scars of the great tie dye experiment on the bottom of the bowl)


I'd have a wild eyed stare like Tico if I had just witnessed Isa contemplating his watery fate ...


Still the rain does look beautiful on my hostas. I never had luck with hostas, far too much of a shady slug's paradise in our garden but I put these two in pots liberally wrapped with copper tape and heavily mulched with sharp gravel and they have survived the winter. They're Sum & Substance or some other variety meant to be repellent to slugs and so far they have not had at them. Mind you, since they'd have to cross a sea of driveway gravel before they even reached the armed pots, I think they'd need to be super slugs I wouldn't want to meet on a dark night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving me some feedback! I love reading your comments and I do my best to reply to them. If Blogger gives me your email address, or if I can find one on your blog I'll try to reply by email; otherwise I'll reply in the comments here.