Thursday, 26 April 2007

More pink food



We love meringues. Every time I cook something that requires an egg yolk I end up making meringues with the leftover white as I can't bear to throw it away. They're so easy, assuming you have an electric whisk, no way I'd do this by hand. For each egg white you use 65g of caster sugar. Stiffly whip the egg white, then whisk in half the sugar until it is glossy. Fold in the remaining sugar, then pipe or dollop it onto baking sheets and bake in a low oven (100C or so) for about an hour. Ideally then you turn off the oven and leave them in there to dry out, but we often just eat them straight away.

This weeks' batch were pink (of course), but we also really like a bit of cocoa in there to make them chocolatey, and just golden caster sugar makes them a very pretty fawn. Here's one of the little pink ones next to a shop bought meringue.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving me some feedback! I love reading your comments and I do my best to reply to them. If Blogger gives me your email address, or if I can find one on your blog I'll try to reply by email; otherwise I'll reply in the comments here.